|Location:||New Castle, Delaware|
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Responsible for reviewing, analyzing, underwriting, evaluating, and approving and denying consumer mortgage residential applications in accordance with company guidelines, business and credit standards, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Maintains company service levels and turn-time standards.
- Validates loan documentation against product criteria.
- Provides excellent customer service and partners with sales and fulfillment teams effectively Maintains confidentiality
- Partners with management and the review team to calibrate first-level decisions.
- Provides recommendations to improve the underwriting process.
- Performs income, collateral and credit reviews to make final underwriting decisions.
- Exercises good judgment and decision-making skills using a risk based approach. Utilizes resources to research unfamiliar underwriting situations and is able to present complex scenarios succinctly and with comprehensive options/solutions to leadership.
- Exhibits excellent time management. Plans and organizes effectively to prioritize daily workload to achieve volume goals.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities including cross department initiatives.
- Helps leaders drive department production & quality goals.
- Works independently and as a team member
- Ensure an attention to detail and validates the accuracy for the loan submission
- Understands Federal Regulations and Compliance guidelines
Full Time Benefits
Our comprehensive benefits package starts day one and features insurance, financial planning support and excellent perks designed to help you reach your goals and live a rich, healthy life. These include:
Paid time off (at minimum, 20 personal days + 7 holidays per year)
Tuition Reimbursement for eligible US based employees
401K with company match and fixed contribution
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Full service cafeteria featuring Starbucks and subsidized Mindful options
Access to fitness center
Opportunities to volunteer in the community
Development groups and training
On-site Health Clinics
Onsite Employee Assistance Program Counselors
Discover Care@Work Family Assistance Program (Discounted childcare at participating centers, free care.com membership, and subsidized Backup Care Services)
Perks at Work (access discounts from over 30,000 merchants, earning WOWPoints while you shop)
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
H.S. Diploma or GED
4+ years of experience in Mortgage or Home Equity Lending/banking or related field
2+ years of experience in Mortgage or Home Equity Underwriting or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
Adapts to change easily
Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to continue learning through subsequent files and demonstrated advanced business acumen
Demonstrates ability to share business acumen with other team members to support overall learning and development of department
Ability to work in fast paced environment
Utilizes Microsoft Office Suite tools and Loan Origination Platforms
3-5 years Mortgage or Home Equity Underwriting experience AND 3-5 years in other Mortgage or Home Equity lending/banking experience
Extensive experience and demonstrated ability to analyze and underwrite complex senior level loan submissions including self-employed borrowers, rental properties, variable income, and all property valuation types.
Demonstrated ability to consistently meet or exceed quality and productivity metrics
Ability to navigate and understand basic mortgage industry LOS software
Proficiency in math
A quiet workspace (no background noises that can hinder customer interactions)
Internet service with a minimum speed of 5mbps
Personal smartphone or a tablet
Individuals in this position are required to comply with all rules and regulations of The Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (The SAFE Act). Employees hired or transferring into this position will need to meet the qualification requirements, in DISCOVER FINANCIAL SERVICES sole discretion, under Reg. Z, prior to acting as a loan originator in any capacity, with access to consumer credit transactions secured by a dwelling. Qualification requirements include but are not limited to an assessment of overall financial responsibility, character, and general fitness through review of a criminal background check, credit report, and information about any administrative, civil, or criminal findings by any government jurisdiction.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.