Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for designing and developing solutions to application, system administration, and network issues. Performs systems management and integration functions.
- Documents design specifications and installation instructions.
- Participating in the design and creation of scalable software
- Writing clean, functional code on the front- and back-end
- Testing and fixing bugs or other coding issues
- Work with development teams and product managers to ideate software solutions
- Design client-side and server-side architecture
- Build the front-end of applications through appealing visual design
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Write effective APIs
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade software
- Create security and data protection settings
- Build features and applications with a mobile responsive design
- Write technical documentation
- Work with data scientists and analysts to improve software
- Collaborates with technology partners to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Verifies the stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, and design changes.
- Test, maintain, and monitor computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot program and system malfunctions to restore normal functioning.
- Expand or modify system to serve new purposes or improve work flow.
- Present architecture vision to teams as well as to executive leadership
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Business, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, or other related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, or other related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 10+ years of relevant hands-on data architecture experience
- Knowledge of ETL architecture experience (Ab Initio or cloud-native tools)
- Knowledge and ability to promote innovative solutions for data quality.
- Strong communication skills to influence stakeholders.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven applications
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing data quality solutions for data-at-rest and data-in-motion at high velocity.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven data reconciliation and data quality solutions
- Experience with variety of databases e.g. Teradata, Oracle, Maria DB, Snowflake
- Experience with building data warehouses, marts, business intelligence reports and operational systems
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in the data space and ability to recommend solutions
- Experience leading and mentoring other data architects
- Proven experience as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- Experience developing desktop and mobile applications
- Familiarity with common stacks
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.