Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Consumer Banking & Lending’s (CB&L) Business Risk and Internal Controls organization (BRIC) is hiring for a high-impact position to lead our organization in today’s complex financial world. Business risk is a hot topic in the financial services industry, and as such, managing risk is crucial to the success of Discover. We are looking for an impressive individual to help CB&L handle challenging tasks that will build Discover into an industry-leader in risk management.
A successful candidate for this position will have student lending knowledge and possess superior communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate to all levels of management. The candidate should also possess the ability to multi-task within tightly mandated deadlines. An entrepreneurial mindset will be extremely valuable, as BRIC routinely manages projects that require thought leadership, creativity and decision-making in a fast-paced environment. Ideally, the candidate should also possess some experience with compliance, audits and/or the regulations that guide the larger banking business.
- Develop and review Business Unit Testing & Monitoring (BUTM) test plans based on process risks, developed controls and subject matter expertise
- Aid in development of strategy and best practices to drive consistency and support standards adherence and execution of BUTM
- Aid in BUTM execution as needed
- Work with business partners as relevant to build standardization in methodology, approach and reporting across all the different CB&L business units
- Work actively with the business to conduct end to end reviews for BUTM gaps as they relate to operational and regulatory risk, and effectively challenge to help define best possible scenarios for remediation
- Keep business aware of issues and activities related to risk identification and control weaknesses and escalate to management as appropriate
- Proactively identify and drive improvement efforts to increase risk-control effectiveness
- Serve as a thought leader in the area of operational risk and control and provide advisory services to the business area on key projects/initiatives as necessary
- Work with internal and external clients to manage ad-hoc data requests and analyses
- Preparation of scheduled and ad-hoc PowerPoint presentations for the BRIC VP, Directors and business partners (may include walkthroughs of results, detailed explanation of failures, BUTM trending and analysis, etc.)
- Support Operational Excellence, projects, and other initiatives as requested to drive improvements
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- H.S. Diploma
- 8+ years of experience in Financial Services
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field
- Experience with Archer
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.