|Job Type:||Full Time|
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product writers, designers, and researchers working closely with engineers and product managers to launch and evolve product features. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, working sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced writer, editor, and manager who can build a strong UX/Product Writing function at Thumbtack. This role is responsible for evolving and socializing the content strategy vision across both our customer and pro experiences and is expected to collaborate closely with marketing, design, research, PM, and engineering leadership to define product strategy and priorities. This role will be expected to facilitate connections between different writing disciplines at Thumbtack, as well as create, iterate on and maintain copy style resources. We are looking for a manager who can comfortably shift between writing, documenting, strategizing, and maintaining systems and processes to facilitate strong content. This manager, along with the help of writers at Thumbtack, would lead and own processes upholding high standards of content style and word choices. This manager has the skills to quickly identify and tailor coaching and mentoring approaches based on writers’ craft and career needs.
- Advocate for and uphold a strong quality bar for the unification, comprehension, and expression of content across Thumbtack -- in partnership with the Brand Marketing, Product Writing, and Help Content teams.
- Facilitate writer partnerships and collaboration between pro, customer, brand, and content writers.
- Collaborate with Brand Writers, Content Writers, Product Managers, Product Marketing Managers, Engineering Managers, and Design Leads to define the product roadmap and quarterly goals.
- Manage a growing team of two Product Writers – including defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and building a culture that fosters trust and respect – while providing strong recommendations and recruiting strategy for how to develop and scale the writing function.
- Iterate on the team’s execution process to improve quality, speed, and collaboration.
- Communicate your vision to other cross-functional product teams and senior leadership.
- Own the creation and maintenance of copy style resources.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of experience working as part of a product writing, UX writing, or content strategy team
- 1+ year of experience owning content style, word and phrase lists, terminology glossaries, writer meetings, and writing crits.
- 1+ years of experience managing product writers, UX writers, or content strategists
- An inspiring portfolio of projects that showcases a compelling writing approach, strong editorial skills, and impact.
- A demonstrated ability to lead user-centric projects end-to-end with a cross-functional team.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
- Experience writing or managing in a two-sided marketplace
- Previous experience in product or project management
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.