|Location:||Mountain View, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft HoloLens Team is continuing to revolutionize consumer electronic devices. We are growing team of experienced device product developers, working in a startup environment on redefining experiences with epic technology innovation. We are developing ground-breaking hardware, software and experiences across computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, and image and video processing, networking and graphics.
As Director-Core Technology-Materials you will lead 10+ engineers in The Advance Technology team for HoloLens in addition to lab and metrology engineers. The group is responsible for finding new technologies as well as technical support and investigation for current HoloLens development. You and your team will be the material and solutions experts driving innovation in all areas of HoloLens product development. Experience with development and launch of consumer electronic devices (phones, tablets, and AR/VR devices) both as a material vendor (recommending materials and troubleshooting issues on the production lines) and as an OEM. In the OEM side this involved defining and scaling up new technologies and processes as well as supporting mechanical engineering and electrical engineering teams with adhesive and material selection and qualifications.
- Use your extensive material and process expertise to inform and direct development of concept explorations and technology investigations.
- Create evaluation models and systems to assess performance investigations for various technology components and product features.
- Lead material selection for hardware devices. This includes structural adhesives, polymer (thermoplastic) resins, pressure sensitive adhesives, optical materials, composite materials, etc.
- Experimental design for qualification and validation of materials.
- Drive technology roadmap development.
- Interface across multiple disciplines (e.g. Program Management, Mechanical Engineering, Quality, EE) in selection of materials equipment and components for detailed development.
- Interface directly with sub-system partners for design of and integration of technology components.
- Stay current and versed in emerging technologies, materials, methods and manufacturing processes.
- Contribute to project planning for development schedules.
- Once travel is allowed, the candidate must be willing and able to travel (domestic and international) to support product development activities.
- 10+ years of experience in materials and processes used in the assembly and manufacturing of electronic assemblies and semiconductor components.
- 3+ years experience in managing people.
- Experience in electro-mechanical product design and manufacturing.
- Experience in design and production methodologies for large volume production in a wide range of manufacturing processes (Optical and material coatings, CNC, laser welding/drilling, Molding operations, Extrusion, lamination, printing/s, plating/s, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability in product and statistical process control, MSA/GRR, part characterization, structured problem solving, root cause and defect/failure analysis, FMEA, DOE, FEA, reliability testing, statistical data analysis.
- Proven experience in applications with some or all of the following technology verticals: Optics, Displays, Batteries, Antennas, Acoustics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- BSME/MSME - combination with Material Science (Polymers, Metals, Composites).
- Experience taking products to mass production.
- Background in Metrology tools and failure analysis.
This position requires access to export-controlled information, hardware, software, or services. Candidates must have U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), or be eligible to receive a U.S. Government export authorization. If the candidate will require a U.S. Government export authorization, any offer of employment for this position is contingent upon Microsoft receiving approval for that authorization from the U.S. Government.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.