|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you a self-motivated and results-driven team leader who is passionate about delivering new software capabilities in a modern way, on a rapid cadence that delights not only our end customers, but also the engineers who wrote the code? Do you have an inclusive leadership style that promotes a collaborative, growth-mindset culture? If so, we’d love to talk with you about a PM Manager opportunity on the Office Engineering team leading the validation and knowledge efforts. This is a big role (you and your team PM-ing the work of over forty engineers) with big opportunities for Office division-wide impact.
On the validation side, the Office team is mid-way through our journey to move all development to Git/ADO and has already moved the biggest Office service across (~200 engineers) resulting in a 30 point improvement on our monthly satisfaction survey. Improvements to the validation story (both in speed and reliability) were key to this satisfaction win, but reliable automated validation remains a challenge for many teams in Office. You and your PM team will lead the validation dev team and work with Office teams (your customers) to ensure that Office’s journey to Git/ADO is successful and improves satisfaction for developers by thinking strategically about the use of unit tests, component tests, end-to-end scenario tests, rings of validation, and telemetry signals to enable teams to confidently improve the Office experience without regression.
On the knowledge side, our mission is to develop techniques and technologies to drive fresh, discoverable, and relevant engineering documentation across the E+D organization. Documentation is one of the most requested areas that engineers want to see improved about their engineering experience at Microsoft (and the industry). Top challenges include content being difficult to find, out of date, incomplete, and tough to understand. Like with validation, improving this space will involve a combination of technological solutions and social ones. Building tech, working with partners, approaching teams as customers, and establishing accountability mechanisms will all be important tools to have impact in this space.
While the validation side is Office-specific and the knowledge space is an E+D focus, both of these areas are highly visible with E+D execs and are on the agenda roughly quarterly at our monthly exec review. This structure results in high expectations but also a unique opportunity to establish high-accountability partnerships and relationships with customer teams.
- Managing and growing a team of PMs while leading by example with a great growth mindset.
- Increasing the efficiency for Office engineers to deliver new experiences across all platforms and services - rapidly develop, validate, and deploy innovation and fixes within minutes or hours.
- Designing the role of unit tests and end-to-end automation in the developer pre-checkin experience, official builds, and the integration with telemetry signals to keep Office quality high on all dimensions.
- Increasing Office and E+D engineer satisfaction and productivity through faster, more robust, modern engineering tools and services.
- Improving the documentation experience through a combination of building technology, working with partners, approaching teams as customers, and establishing alerting and accountability mechanisms for keeping documentation fresh.
- Collaborating with other engineering teams at Microsoft to build and onboard to 1ES systems (like CloudTest) and technology with the goal of making E+D engineers more productive and satisfied.
- Ensure we do all of the above in an entirely secure and compliant manner.
- Proven technical skills and independence
- Excellent cross-discipline leadership, collaboration and influencing skills. Lead, drive change and influence without authority across groups
- Experience leading with and making decisions based on data and metrics
- Experience defining, measuring, innovating and driving change in large-scale software products and systems such as Office
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate business problems, alternatives, and product strategy
- Ability to concisely frame problems and design simple solutions
- 7+ years of experience working in the software industry
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.