|Job Type:||Full Time|
Be a part of the digital transformation revolution! The Internet of Things (IoT) is changing the business landscape and Microsoft has emerged as a leading innovator in this field. The Azure IoT platform team is an open, fun, and diverse team that builds and operates services that make it easy for customers to digitally transform – enabling them to collect data from the physical world, and operationalize insights derived from that data to create better business outcomes. We provide a reliable platform that spans from the edge to the cloud that customers use to build scalable, fully featured IoT solutions such as managing industrial equipment used in manufacturing, tracking valuable assets in healthcare, and monitoring office building usage.
We are looking for a Principal engineer to join our growing team in Redmond, WA. As a Principal engineer on the Azure IoT platform you will drive the architecture and design of large-scale distributed systems and services. You will be expected to tackle intrinsically hard scaling and availability problems and serve as a technical lead for critical initiatives from scoping to delivery to operations. You will lead design reviews, provide feedback on architectural recommendations and drive specific goals around scalability and availability. This is a highly visible role and your guidance on technical matters will be frequently sought by the Azure IoT executives.
- Drive the architecture vision for IoT platform core services
- Identify and articulate investment areas to drive efficiency, scale, and availability of the platform
- Design key systems that are crucial to achieving scale to support anticipated growth
- Inspire and drive engineering and operational excellence across the organization
- Experiment and drive technical (and product) innovation
- Lead regular architecture reviews of existing systems to ensure they can scale to handle projected growth
- Collaborate with broader engineering community to drive best-in-class design and development practices
- Work closely with customers to gather business and functional requirements and work with the broader team to translate requirements into technical specifications
- Best in class skills in architecting and building distributed systems
- 12+ years of experience building software
- Hands-on developer experienced building systems using C, C++, C#, Rust, or Java
- Ability to think out of the box and propose creative solutions to complex problems
- Ability to drive consensus across cross-functional group of engineers and business leaders
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience building and operating web services on Azure, Google, or AWS
- Prior experience building solutions for consumer or industrial IoT space
- Good written communication skills
- Good understanding of approaches to providing dial-tone reliability and predictable performance to hundreds of millions of devices
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.