|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you like to design large-scale, self-healing services? Are you interested in working on one of the world’s largest clouds? We are looking for a Software Engineer II for the M365 Fleet team who embraces these roles and is excited by this technology.
The M365 Fleet Engineering team is looking for a Software Engineer (Individual Contributor) who enjoys solving cloud scale challenges and has an attention to detail. Good core development skills are a requirement for this position and we strongly prefer candidates who have experience in the areas of building and evolving large scale cloud services. You will be a key contributor on the team who will own the implementation and full lifecycle of the solutions you build. Your work on the M365 Fleet team will be high impact with initial deliveries in less than 6 months.
More About Microsoft 365 and Substrate
Substrate is the data and intelligence platform that enables internal partner teams at Microsoft to build, deploy, and maintain compliant productivity apps and services with reduced effort and faster time to market. The M365 Fleet team is a team within Substrate which is responsible for delivering, deploying, and decommissioning thousands of servers per month. We work closely with dozens of partner teams to ensure their services are safely and quickly integrated into the hardware infrastructure lifecycle. Substrate works closely with Azure to develop, integrate, and leverage best of breed products to meet business goals.
Microsoft 365 (M365) is one of the fastest growing cloud services in Microsoft. M365 brings together cloud versions of our most trusted communications and collaboration products like Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive, and Skype with the desktop suite of Office products in an always up-to-date integrated service offering. Since its launch, the service has made it easier for millions of information workers across the world in small, medium, and large enterprises to use the best of Microsoft’s business productivity solutions via the cloud. The service now extends the same capability to consumer communication and collaboration products.
- Continuous Professional level test driven development utilizing C# and PowerShell.
- Development against Azure componentry including Data Explorer, Event Hubs, Key Vault, Service Fabric etc.
- Regular collaboration with and use of Git, Azure Dev Ops and other Microsoft platform engineering tooling.
- Solve challenging cross platform issues through software or automation improvements.
- Collaborate on the design of the overall services with a focus on service reliability and automated troubleshooting.
- Collaborate with Program Management to meet immediate and longer-term business objectives and key performance results.
- Analyze, design, and implement improvements to implement new features while reducing costs of goods shipped (COGS) and drive those changes across the platform.
- 2 years of professional software development experience.
- Engineering experience in a large scale, high availability service environment.
- BS/BA in computer science. Individuals with a degree in a non-STEM field (or without a degree at all) who have retrained as a software engineer and demonstrated a commitment to lifelong learning are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Strong design, implementation, and debugging skills.
- Flexible, self-motivated, team player.
- Experience with directory and/or data storage systems is highly desirable.
- Ability to quickly ramp up on new technologies.
Additionally, a candidate with relevant experience in one, or more, of the items below would be a great fit for our team:
- Cloud services experience (Azure preferably as well as AWS, Google Cloud, etc.) is desirable.
- Understanding of Microsoft Exchange and related technologies including Active Directory, Microsoft DNS, and protocols such as DHCP and SMTP.
- Enterprise class networking experience is desirable.
- Understanding of data analysis and machine learning is beneficial, but not required.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.