|Job Type:||Full Time|
Our team is seeking to add a Principal Software Engineer in the Office 365 Mailbox Migration team in Redmond. This Engineer will be working on the engines responsible for load-balancing 100 million mailboxes every day and for real-time synchronization of millions of mailboxes mastered by 3rd party providers, such as an on-premise Exchange installations, Gmail, iCloud, Yahoo or generic IMAP hosts.
The Mailbox Migration team is looking for a self-motivated and experienced software engineer to work on one or more of the following components owned by our team:
- Mailbox Replication Service, which schedules and moves mailboxes, typically to onboard or offboard them to our Cloud or to balance load within it.
- Mailbox Synchronization to replicate data in near real time between our Cloud and the master copy hosted by a 3rd party provider, such as an on-premise Exchange installation, Gmail or a generic IMAP host.
- Mailbox Migration: to move whole sets of mailboxes into our Cloud.
- Mailbox Load Balancing: to intelligently relocate mailboxes to smooth overall load within our datacenters.
These are hyperscale Cloud services involving billions of users across 100s of thousands of servers, so your skills in choosing the right data structures and algorithms will be challenged very heavily.
Your responsibility will be to analyze, design and implement ways to improve the quality of service and develop new features to help customers use our services.
- 10 years of professional software development experience
- Master’s Degree in a technical field such as computer science or engineering.
- Strong analytical, design, and development skills with depth in databases, storage, high performance data structures and algorithms
- A passion for analyzing and improving performance - I/O, memory, CPU, concurrency.
- A strong development background, excellent communication skills, and a strong foundation in Computer Science.
- Because the work is done indirectly on behalf of a giant team, skills in persuasion are key to success.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.