|Location:||Redmond, Washington, Reston, Virginia, San Antonio, Texas|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Regional Director of IT Operations, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Microsoft Azure, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and Bing search platforms.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With safety, environmental sustainability, and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Be at the forefront of the action in CO&I as part of our Global Datacenter Operations Team!
As a successful Regional Director, IT Operations, you will work with the Sr. Director of US Government DC Operations and partner with Datacenter Operations Managers (DCOMs) and other Program Managers to be the subject matter expert on, drive, and implement consistent IT programs at datacenters dedicated to supporting Microsoft’s US Government programs. With your team, you will enable the build out, onboarding and operationalization of new datacenter capacity. You will be expected to be a leader in the incident and outage process to ensure proper root cause analysis and appropriate follow-up to apply lessons learned. This role calls for a balance of leadership, influence skills, supportive individual contributions, and expertise in enterprise-level operations. You must be able to work well under pressure and deadlines, multiple concurrent priorities and deliverables, as well be able to travel to datacenters and program locations as needed.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
This position can be based in either Redmond, WA; Reston, VA; or San Antonio, TX.
- Empower a culture of safety, security, and compliance in all aspect of datacenter activities
- Establish and enhance strong working relationships with customers
- Lead cleared IT program and project management team for Microsoft’s datacenters dedicated to US Government programs
- Collaborate, communicate, present, and negotiate effectively across groups of various levels and disciplines, such as customers, senior Microsoft leaders, suppliers, partners, technicians, etc.
- Responsible for the planning and delivery of all program IT physical infrastructure, logistics, and the resources required to meet anticipated growth and expansion within the program.
- Financial management of the portfolio including the development of detailed budgets, forecasts, and management of IT operational and capital spend.
- Provide management and oversight of all vendor/partner contracts and relationships with IT providers and partner support teams
- Plan and manage scope and cost, and communicate end-to-end project plans with stakeholders and teams, ensure in time delivery.
- Provide data points, requirements, and key success metrics to measure progress and direction of each project including meeting the budget of IT projects.
- Accountable for the standardization of program-specific IT and network-based procedures, standards and runbooks across datacenters in the portfolio.
- Gather and provide feedback on lessons learned, best practices, and innovations on process/procedures and tools to improve efficiencies and productivity
- Drive quality and consistency across the datacenters within the program
- Assist with datacenter capacity management and alignment
- Provide escalation support for datacenters within the program
- Actively participate in the delivery of service for program datacenters ranging from single large capacity sites/campuses to several smaller locations
- Conduct frequent presentations to Microsoft executives and senior leaders
- 10 years’ experience working in production data center environments with IT equipment (Servers, SANs, Networking, etc.) and IT infrastructure (Capacity, DC Rack/Enclosures, IDF/MDF design, structured cabling etc.)
- 10 years’ experience working on large scale projects.
- 5+ years’ experience in leading, directly managing, and influencing a diverse organization of full-time employees across multiple disciplines, platforms and culture
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Technical College degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Telecommunications, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Applicable certifications: CompTIA, Microsoft, Network Certifications
- Experience using IT diagnostic tools and programs
- Basic understanding with Critical Environment (CE) concepts (e.g. Electrical Distribution, Mechanical Cooling Systems, etc.)
- Awareness of IT Service Operations fundamentals and principles. (ITIL, MOF, OLA/SLA, CSI, etc.)
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a dynamic and high-pressure environment
- Project Management Institute (PMI) Certification(s)
- Perform and execute organization’s safety programs and policies, and compliance knowledge assessments
- Previous experience with MS Cloud Services and Platforms (e.g. Windows Azure, Office 365, etc.)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.