|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Office Experience Organization (OXO) is looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join the Office Shared org. We have multiple opportunities in two different teams with in the Shared org:
The Service @ Scale team, which strives to run services in OXO with high reliability and efficiency while driving initiatives across COGS, Security, Compliance and Service Infrastructure in Office with partnerships across Microsoft 365 and Azure. These services are critical to the Office strategy for service-based web productivity and enabling the world to operate in work, life and education. As an Engineering Manager in the Service @ Scale team, you will be responsible for leading a team to contribute to team's mission. You could:
- Deliver high scale services that power experiences for hundreds of millions of customers across every Office platform (Windows, iOS, Android, Mac, Web). Ensure customers have easy access to the documents they care about and can synchronize their settings to ensure Office feels personally yours across all your devices with seamless sign-in experiences connecting you to hosted services such as OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, and Dropbox for collaboration.
- Own and continue evolve the shared identity component across multiple OXO web services.
- Drive performance, reliability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and shared services powering Office for the web as it runs at increasingly large scale in datacenters spanning the globe. You will model and drive a Site Reliability engineering culture, looking for ways to optimize procedures, finding customer or service impacting issues to meet and exceed service level objectives that you will help define, and maintaining the highest standards for Security, Compliance and Privacy.
- Work on the Recommended Documents service that powers the document recommendation experience on office.com and Office home pages to make the most interesting documents stand out and be ready for user’s async collaboration. You would run this high scale service efficiently and provide new insights to users through intelligent aggregation of all files across different sources, including Sharepoint, email, and local files, to provide a lighting fast look up experience to locate the file you need. Both Recommended Document and Edgeworth services are powered by the M365 Substrate platform, processing billions of signals per day and ranking them on demand with ML.
The Fluid Framework team’s mission is to develop both the underlying technologies and establish high value customer facing scenarios for a new generation of collaboration experiences. We aim to utilize a fundamentally new shared distributed data model to enable a future of high scale collaboration and communication. As an engineering manager on the Fluid Framework team, your team will be responsible for key areas of our platform that enable developers to build highly collaborative experiences easily and reliably. You will be empowered to have end-to-end ownership for your areas including design, code, test and telemetry coverage. You’ll partner deeply across disciplines as well as across teams to help deliver results that delight our customers. As a technical leader on the team you will also be responsible for mentoring early in career engineers who have a wide range of skills and experiences.
In all these areas, our partner relationships are critical to our success and you will be part of driving initiatives broadly across Office and the company with teams such as Azure, M365, Identity, and Windows to leverage the best of Microsoft technologies and contribute back to these platforms.
We offer a fantastic and fun team environment with commitment to people, inclusion and careers, which you will foster and cultivate. We celebrate team cultural values of being:
- Open to listening to and incorporating feedback, bringing people together to brainstorm and communicate ideas
- Customer-obsessed, both for the engineers relying on what this team delivers and for our external customers
- Exceptional partners, as we design and collaborate across many teams across the company
- Committed to continual learning and growing in building a high-trust, collaborative, diverse and deeply inclusive team environment
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the following:
- Driving the strategy, vision and execution for your team working with your Group Engineering Manager and Program Managers and partner teams across Office and Microsoft.
- Lead a strong engineering team with a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Coach and mentor engineers within the team, both technically through code reviews and design reviews and help engineers grow in their careers
- Be an active member of team leadership to drive the overall shared platform, services and components for Office as well as our diversity and inclusion priorities.
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering
- Experience in C#/Java or related technologies
- Existing experience in software engineering management to coach/model/care to grow engineering talent is a plus
- Domain expertise in Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), or web service technologies preferred
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.