|Job Type:||Full Time|
Visual Studio for Mac Technical Insights Lead
This position can work remotely from any location within the United States.
Smartphones are part of our everyday lives: keeping us connected to our friends and family, getting us to our meetings on time, or just making us smile as we play the latest amazing games on them.
To win the hearts and minds of the developers of apps for those platforms, it’s vital for Microsoft to present versatile cross-platform development solutions, freeing those developers from having to duplicate their work across multiple development machines.
The Visual Studio for Mac Technical Insights team is focused on understanding customer usage by collecting telemetry data. Keeping customer privacy top of mind, this team aims to gain insights from the collection of data on reliability, performance and general usage of Visual Studio for Mac. These learnings are then used to inform priorities and future product development, thereby creating a strong feedback loop between our customers and development teams.
As the lead for the Visual Studio for Mac Technical Insights team, you'll be responsible for managing a team of engineers, as well as coordinating with partner teams on innovation, performance, and reliability of the Visual Studio for Mac IDE. A successful candidate for this role will have great people skills, including not only communication and collaboration, but also the ability to listen to all viewpoints and, from that, derive the best possible direction for the team. In addition to the direct management of the Technical Insights team, the person in this role will be expected to act as a leader, helping influence and build consensus across the teams which make up the larger engineering organization.
Solid technical skills are also needed for this job, with experience in data modelling, statistics and an understanding of customer usage telemetry. In partnership with other development teams, this team works to investigate specific product issues, as well as building tools to analyze crashes, identify performance issues, such as hangs and UI delays, and toaddress “non-fatal exceptions”.
As a result, both the Technical Insights team, and its lead, will have an important and very visible role within the organization, regularly presenting to senior leadership on the trends observable in the data collected.
We are an agile team which delivers on a 3-week sprint cadence, working with both open- and closed-source codebases, teaming up with our PM counterparts and our user community to define the best path forward for innovative features.
We have a strong growth mindset and a dedication to respect, diversity, and inclusion, holding ourselves accountable to these tenets in order to create a harmonious work environment in which each team member can grow a rewarding career at Microsoft.
- Build and maintain the customer telemetry pipeline and related tooling
- Monitor and understand customer usage of Visual Studio for Mac and related components
- Includes analysis of crashes, hangs, performance, and non-fatal exceptions
- Innovate and develop new metrics to better understand reliability, performance, usability and functional completeness.
- Gain insights on customer usage and use these insights to help prioritize future development efforts.
- Collaborate with other teams and help build consensus on priorities for both the Technical Insights team as well as other teams within the organization.
- Serve as the champion for the customer experience as illustrated in the telemetry data we collect.
10+ years of experience developing commercial software
3+ years people management experience
5+ years of experience coding with C#
- Experience with data modelling and statistical analysis
- Familiarity with GDPR and other similar customer data privacy standards
- 2+ years of experience in collecting and analyzing customer usage telemetry data
- 2+ years of experience diagnosing application hang and crash reports
- Experience with Apple’s Xcode and other Mac development tools
- Experience maintaining open source projects
- Detail oriented design, coding, debugging and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to quickly learn new technologies and efficiently collaborate with partners to deliver outstanding results.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Strong empathy for customers and persistent drive to learn from them
- Ability to create clarity and generate energy within the team to achieve successful outcomes
- Willingness to deep dive in technology and the ability to zoom out to frame the big picture
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.