|Location:||New York, New York|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Director of Engineering, PromoteIQ
PromoteIQ provides intelligent vendor marketing solutions for the next generation of e-commerce. Our platform helps retailers implement, automate, and scale their brand-funded digital vendor marketing programs. We sit at the intersection of marketing and e-commerce and have a singular mission of empowering retailers and brands to maximize their e-commerce performance.
PromoteIQ embodies a strong startup culture that values diversity, collaboration and craftsmanship - and above all else, results. Our bias towards execution balances critical thinking, root cause analysis and pragmatic problem solving. We expect a lot from one another and value our thoughtful and intellectually curious company culture.
PromoteIQ is headquartered in New York City and supports a global footprint of e-commerce retailers and brands. The company was acquired by Microsoft in Aug, 2019 and continues to operate as an independent division within Microsoft Advertising. Learn more at https://www.promoteiq.com. This role is based in our SoHo/NYC office.
Microsoft Advertising is a worldwide Sales, Marketing and Services organization on the cutting edge of the digital advertising industry. Microsoft Advertising offers a compelling portfolio of advertising products, innovative solutions and the opportunity to engage with some of the brightest minds in the digital industry. Microsoft Advertising is the destination for experienced, collaborative, and passionate digital advertising professionals seeking a rewarding career and lifestyle.
Who We’re Looking For
As a Director of Engineering at PromoteIQ, you will play a pivotal role in establishing a vision for engineering operations and positioning our engineering team for long-term scaling and growth. You will enable exceptional performance of the team, and build structures/systems to ensure our success is repeatable, consistent, and scalable. You will collaborate with leaders across the business to identify priorities and mitigate risks. You will drive diverse recruitment across the team, and especially at the senior staff level. You will empower our engineering leaders to maximize their impact, and will own the results they deliver. You strive for engineering excellence. You have a passion for working with technical teams delivering complex enterprise products, and fostering a collaborative, results-driven, and sustainable team culture.
- Implement team-wide standards and procedures for mature development practices and engineering excellence, with a focus on quality, predictability, repeatability, and scalability
- Collaborate with Product to deliver an ambitious roadmap on time and with high quality
- Identify and implement initiatives to support Engineering Managers and Tech Leads, and to streamline their workloads
- Recruit, onboard, develop, mentor, and retain high-performing and diverse talent for the team, focusing on senior engineering staff – Engineering Managers, Tech Leads, and Senior Engineers
- Oversee management of overall platform architecture with senior engineering staff
- Track and manage engineering KPIs to objectively assess and tune team performance
- Build a culture of craftsmanship, ownership, innovation, accountability and fairness
- BS/MS/PHD in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
4+ years of experience managing the software development life cycle for a team
4+ years of experience managing a team with direct reports
5+ years of experience as a as a developer, QA, or sysadmin/ops on a software engineering team
- Experience managing managers, and coordinating cross-team efforts/initiatives
- Experience designing distributed systems for cloud-based microservices architecture
- Experience working cross-functionally with business team leaders to balance feature delivery and technical investment
- Strong CS fundamentals in Algorithms and Data Structures
- Proven experience leading technical projects and delivering on ambitious goals
- Deep knowledge of engineering processes, their underlying principles and tradeoffs
- Fluency in one or more general purpose programming language including but not limited to: Python, Java, Go, C#, C++
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and experience working with executive management teams
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.