|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you want to be part of the team that brings world class hardware from concept to market? The Design for Excellence (DfX) team within Microsoft's NPI group enables the delivery of world class hardware that our customers love, incorporating innovative, cutting edge technologies.
Role & Opportunity:
The Microsoft New Product Introduction (NPI) group is looking for a passionate & team-oriented engineer to join us in shaping the future of devices. You will be part of the Design for Excellence (DfX) team that enables and delivers emerging technologies in new product categories. Your end-to-end engagement will include design development, new design and process characterization, and manufacturing launch of next generation Microsoft hardware. You will get to collaborate cross-functionally with engineering disciplines across the company.
- Concurrent Engineering engagement with internal product development groups in Surface Devices, Accessories, and Xbox product lines.
- Collaborate with product development teams to identify design elements that are new, unique, or difficult and enable their realization through engineering validation cycles.
- Partner with cross-functional teams and external vendors to define, characterize and deliver manufacturing processes that enable the commercialization of key product differentiators.
- Direct activities to solve complex design and manufacturing challenges, support cost reduction and yield improvement efforts, invent and commercialize new technologies and manufacturing methods.
- Plan and perform statistical analyses to characterize process and design interactions.
- Generate best practices guidelines and documentation to enable efficiencies in future hardware development and launch activities.
- Drive clear and accurate communications and recommendations to peers and senior management by distilling complex technical challenges, outlining options, and providing supporting data.
- 10-20% travel to domestic and overseas vendor and factory sites is required.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering discipline.
- 3+ years as either a hardware engineer directly contributing to product development or high-volume manufacturing process engineer involving consumer electronics, electro-mechanical systems manufacturing, and integration.
- Proven technical aptitude and experience with electro-mechanical design and related manufacturing processes. Some examples include: Complex small-scale mechanical assemblies; Design for assembly / manufacturing; Interconnect design, FPCA design; EE and ME component and material selection; Design for EMI/RF; Display / touch screen design.
- Proficiency with 3D design tools and other CAD suites. Knowledge in Pro-E/Creo and SolidWorks is a plus.
- Proven troubleshooting skills and structured problem-solving approach; Experience leveraging manufacturing data to identify design and assembly issues and subsequently drive continuous quality.
- Demonstrated ability in product and process statistics, part characterization, structured problem solving, root cause and defect/failure analysis, DOE, FEA, reliability testing, statistical data analysis.
- Concurrent engineering experience with cross-functional teams.
- Design for manufacturing experience in a high-volume environment preferred.
- Understands PC or other consumer electronics mechanical and electro-mechanical interactions (enclosures, displays, thermal solutions, cables/FPCs, connectors, etc.)
- Know-how with mechanical tolerance analysis and tools such as CETOL and VSA.
- Experience with fixture & equipment development, metal forming & CNC, injection molding, adhesives, composites, and complex mechanisms
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.