Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover Financial Services you can make an impact. Whether it’s developing corporate strategy, innovating new services or supporting IT needs, every employee has the opportunity to be a vital part of our business and make a real difference in people’s lives. It’s the heart of what we do. Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services.
We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service. Our employees have always played a big part in our success. We support, challenge and inspire employees to continually develop their skills, advance their career and help grow our business.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Lead Data engineer to join our Enterprise Data Management team. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand their data needs, and build data pipelines using cutting edge technologies like Kinesis/Kafka. Additionally you will explore the use of Python, Scala, Spark APIs to enrich data for our data scientists.
What You’ll Do
As part of our Enterprise Data Management team, you’ll:
- Develop data-driven solutions with current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
- Provide technical design and develop Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) applications that interface with all key Discover applications.
How You’ll Do It
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity Design and develop data-ingestion frameworks, real-time processing solutions, and data processing and transformation frameworks.
- Deploy and provide support for application codes and analytical models.
- Provide senior-level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data projects.
- Create and enhance data solutions that enable seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Provide business analysis and develop ETL code and scripting to meet all technical specifications and business requirements according to the established designs.
- Develop real-time data ingestion and stream-analytic solutions leveraging technologies such as Kafka, Apache Spark, Python and AWS-based solutions.
- Work extensively within the Cloud ecosystem and migrate data from Teradata to AWS-based platform.
- Utilize multiple development languages/tools such as Python, SPARK, Hive, Java to build prototypes and evaluate results for effectiveness and feasibility.
- Develop application systems that comply with the standard system development methodology and concepts for design, programming, backup, and recovery to deliver solutions that have superior performance and integrity.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, or related field
- 6+ years of work experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related experience
- In lieu of education experience, 8+ years of work experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related experience
- 6+ years of experience in data platform administration/engineering
- Knowledge and experience using query languages (SQL, Cypher) for relational and graph databases
- Willingness to continuously learn & share learnings with others
- Capability to collaborate with stakeholders and project leaders to understand requirements, deliverables, and set expectations on tasks that you will be responsible for
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Experience working in an agile and collaborative team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and professional speaking skills
- Passion for learning and interest in pursuing classroom training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies
- Hands-on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)-based solutions such as Lambda, Dynamodb, Snowflake and S3
- Experience in migrating ETL processes (not just data) from relational warehouse databases to AWS-based solutions
- Experience within the financial industry
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.