|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the Role
Samsara’s Industrial team operates as a startup within a startup and is designed to iterate extremely quickly to deliver new products for new customers across industries including manufacturing, food and beverage, energy, and utilities. We are building easy to manage, easy to deploy, massively scalable, internet-connected sensors to create real business outcomes for our customers: reduced maintenance costs, less downtime, increased efficiency, higher throughput, and better customer service.
This is a unique opportunity to join a small team in a hyper-growth company and have an outsized impact across different aspects of the business. The Industrial team is small, moves fast, and will require you to wear many hats across product, engineering, sales, marketing, and operations.
As a firmware engineer at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on devices deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You’ll tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
We use C for our microcontroller based platforms, Golang for our linux-based gateways and backend services, Google protocol buffers to structure data, and various AWS technologies to process and store data. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.
In this role, you will:
- Bringing up a new platform - configuring I/O, testing connectivity, validating design, debugging init
- Writing peripheral drivers, bootloaders, DMA pipelines, core management layers (power manager, connectivity manager, etc).
- Component selection: partner with hardware in selecting components based on system and customer needs, prototyping for in house and beta customer use.
- Designing efficient protocols and implementing efficient hardware management to maximize battery life of a sensor or gateway.
- Championing, role modeling, and embedding Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
An ideal candidate has:
- Have at least 6 years experience working in bare metal, RTOS, and/or embedded Linux environments.
- Have experience with the product development cycle, working with JDM partners in Asia, and a proven track record of shipping products.
- Have experience bringing up linux or embedded devices.
- Have experience with wireless protocols including LoRa, BLE, WiFi, LTE, etc.
- Have experience with sensors (IMUs, GPS, environmental), protocols (BLE, NFC, CAN, RS232/485, USB, ethernet, etc), memory systems, distributed systems, and their application to solve real world problems.
- Thrive in an environment that requires rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback.
- Evaluate how decisions at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.