|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft’s devices are an integral component in our mission of empowering every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. These devices, from Surface to Xbox, passing through HoloLens and various PC accessories, combine with Microsoft’s Windows and productivity tools to generate magical experiences in the hands of millions of customers.
The Microsoft Devices Product Safety team is looking for a customer obsessed Product Safety Engineer, who approaches engineering challenges creatively and understands that product safety is not an optional feature.
The position reports to the Director of Product Safety in the Reliability, Device Analysis, Environmental Compliance, and Safety group. This position is based in Redmond, WA with occasional international travel, and is responsible for the following:
- Guiding the development teams and ensuring designs meet all applicable internal safety specifications and processes
- Accurately predicting how products will be used and could be misused, and identifying Safety-Critical components and systems associated with those predictions
- Contributing to product design reviews by identifying safety hazards, and proposing measures to effectively eliminate or mitigate them
- Collaborating with manufacturing stakeholders to identify, implement and control Safety-Critical steps in the factory processes and to maintain them during mass production
- Working across multidisciplinary and multiregional teams to deliver hazard analyses and risk assessments on time
- Plan and conduct appropriate component, sub-assembly and assembly test protocols to effectively support a product safety assessment
- Represent Product Safety in DFMEA/PFMEA sessions, and provide guidance in risk evaluation
- Participate in the change management process by reviewing proposed changes for any safety implications
- Prepare presentations summarizing product safety coverage and risks for project gate reviews
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering
- 5+ years of engineering experience in product development
- Master’s degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial)
- Experience in Human Factors Engineering, Quality, Integrity, Manufacturing or Reliability is a plus
- Demonstrate a growth mindset
- Familiarity with the product safety regulatory system and international product safety standards
- Working knowledge of hazard analysis and risk assessment methodologies and processes, applying tools like FMEA and FTA
- Knowledge of Li-ion battery design, safety, and failure analysis
- Hands-on experience performing testing and measurements at an electronics lab and working with prototypes
- Skilled in analyzing and organizing complex data (Tableau, powerBI)
- Proven experience in project management and product development (Jira, Azure DevOps)
- Experience working with manufacturers (ODM & CM) and suppliers in the consumer products or consumer electronics segments
- Experience conducting supplier and manufacturing audits
- Knowledge in Product Quality Dfx, Design for Six Sigma, or comparable statistical modeling and analysis methodology
- Working knowledge of failure analysis
- Understanding how to communicate difficult or sensitive information tactfully and effectively
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal skills
- Ability to work across multi-functional and multi-disciplinary teams
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.