|Location:||Charlotte, North Carolina, Irving, Texas, Issaquah, Washington|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Customer Service & Support
- Do you want to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more?
- Do you want to work in an open and inclusive environment where diverse perspectives are celebrated?
- Are you ready to join a team of the world’s best technical experts to enable the success of Microsoft partners implementing Windows interoperability solutions?
- Do you love being a technical leader who has the opportunity to solve complex problems for some of the world’s developers, as well as companies on the leading edge of their industry?
In Customer Service and Support, we are focused on how we can Empower, Help, and Advise Microsoft customers. We engage in solving complex problems for customers, we collaborate and knowledge share with each other, and we innovate on solutions to enable our customers to make the most of Microsoft products.
Our culture is built around attributes that drive our every decision and our every action:
- Customer Obsession - we exist for and because of the customer. We need people who share that passion and drive to make our customers experiences easy, insightful and trusted.
- Growth Mindset - we value all perspectives and reward individuals that poke at the edges of what they know to be true. We are seeking people that think differently and are biased toward action to accomplish great things.
- Diverse & Inclusive - we enable people who bring a contemporary view to shape our internal teams and encourage all to feel included.
- One Microsoft - we collaborate and value the work of others, combining their learnings with our own to make a better outcome for our customers.
- Making a difference - we drive impact by looking for ways to continually improve our day to day responsibilities and the connections between our work and others.
Are you passionate about interoperable solutions across various OS and device combinations? Are you looking for an opportunity to bring your knowledge and passion of open source technologies to Microsoft? The Escalation Engineer is a technical leader who does exactly that! As a trusted advisor to Solution Architects and Developers, you will have influence over a broad range of solutions that create business value for our customers. Your technical and relationship skills are critical to the success of the customer’s perception of value to the Microsoft Interoperability Promise.
As an Escalation Engineer (EE) on the protocols team, you will work directly with 3rd party developers ranging from small and large open source development projects to Fortune 100 corporations. The protocol team supports interoperability implementations between Microsoft products (Windows, Office) and third-party solutions using the technical specifications for Microsoft protocols . The team’s primary objective is to unblock third parties. Protocol EEs have the opportunity to work closely with Microsoft’s partners, including debugging the interoperability issues of some of the most successful open source projects under development today, by working with them face to face at Microsoft hosted plug-fests and Interoperability labs as well as partner sponsored events globally. Protocol EEs also get to work closely with numerous product groups and interoperability teams to ensure that Microsoft succeeds in the interoperability initiative. On a daily basis you will get to solve challenging network protocol problems using a variety of resources and tools and have the opportunity to choose additional stretch projects that advance the overall interoperability effort.
For more information about the Microsoft Protocol Programs, go to [http://www.microsoft.com/protocols]
- Resolve important questions and problems to help our third-party partners implement protocols based on Microsoft’s open specifications including File Sharing (SMB), Remote Desktop (RDP), Active Directory, Authentication, Mobile Device Management (MDM) and others. This will involve analyzing network traces, verifying the correctness of protocol specifications, and using a variety of sophisticated troubleshooting tools.
- Work as a member of a team to solve customer questions, but also take individual responsibility to see that each question or issue is fully resolved.
- Communicate technically complex information with Microsoft’s developer customers via telephone, written correspondence, and electronic services.
- Represent Microsoft to customers in a highly professional manner by managing customer expectations, devising action plans, and communicating to all parties involved using the highest level of customer skill.
- Create advanced technical content including Microsoft Knowledge Base articles, whitepapers, team blog, and training.
- Identify and report software bugs, documentation bugs, and customer suggestions.
- Continually learn technologies and develop deep expertise in Microsoft products and networking protocols. Apply that knowledge to solve real-world problems.
- Participate in regular meetings to share knowledge with other engineers and help them develop efficient solutions to their customers.
- 3+ years experience coding and/or analysis of C, C++, and C# programs
- 5+ years of technical escalation support experience (in a Tier 2/3 environment) including experience in a customer-facing or support role
- Experience troubleshooting network infrastructures problems
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Use protocol tracing tools such as Message Analyzer, Network Monitor or Wireshark
- Familiarity with reading and understanding Protocol specifications: RFCs and other standards
- Strong experience with debugging Kernel and User-mode components
- Experience and knowledge of Windows’ internal architecture
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Familiarity with one of more of the following:
- Filesharing: SMB/SMB2
- Authentication protocols like Kerberos and NTLM
- Active Directory & LDAP
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- ASN.1 and other serialization methods
- Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Passion for technology and customer supportability
- Strong communication skills - Be able to provide clear instructions and communicate complex technical information.
- Participate and/or present at conference/lab engagements with customers/partners worldwide
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.