|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you thrive when coaching leads and engineers and have a passion for working closely with customers to solve their biggest challenges?
The Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) team is a global engineering organization that works directly with customers looking to leverage the latest technologies to address their toughest challenges. We work closely with our customers’ engineers to jointly develop code to solve their biggest challenges and to accelerate their organization. We work in collaboration with Microsoft product teams, partners and open source communities to empower our customers to do more with the cloud. We pride ourselves on making contributions to open source and make our platforms easier to adopt.
We develop solutions side-by-side with our customers through collaborative innovation to solve their challenges. This work involves the development of broadly applicable, high-impact solution patterns and open source software assets that contribute to the Microsoft platform. In this role, you will be working with managers and developers on your team to apply their skills, creativity and aspirations to the benefit of the customers and to advance their careers.
- Leading and mentoring 3-4 engineering leads and their teams
- Giving thoughtful feedback, nurturing an inclusive environment, championing engineering fundamentals and providing mentorship for team members to grow
- Coaching and guiding your leads to ensure that we successfully deliver projects with our customers
- Modeling integrity, accountability and value to managers and engineers across your team.
- Building an inclusive culture and environment where everyone can grow and do their best work
- Working hands-on with your team and our customers through design and implementation, ensuring great architectural decisions and engineering practices, and coding along the way.
- Work with your peers to plan and prioritize projects for your team and our organization
- Working with other managers across our team to continuously improve our engineering process and our technical capabilities.
- Developing deep relationships and exhibiting technical leadership across teams within Microsoft and with open source communities, thereby having a positive impact on Microsoft’s platform business.
- Prior software engineering people management experience
- 7+ years experience in complex, high scale software design and development
- 3+ years management experience
- Experience with open source platforms, including contributions
- Shipped complex production systems running on a public cloud
- Prior experience being accountable for running production systems and/or software
- Demonstrated track record of success partnering across teams, disciplines and organizations to achieve goals
We are looking for candidates with the demonstrated ability to deliver on the responsibilities below.
- Thrive with change: We are striving to build a diverse team utilizing a wide range of technologies while working with a global customer base. What we work on this quarter will not necessarily be the same as last quarter and that is one of the things we love about our team.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills, including working across geographical distances.
- Prior experience managing managers, or managing multiple software development teams
- Prior experience employing and coaching teams on concepts like CI/CD, test driven development, open source contributions and agile methodologies would be helpful.
- Bachelor’s Degree in science, Engineering or Mathematics or equivalent experience.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.