|Job Type:||Full Time|
The Microsoft Education organization is looking for a strong Technical Data & Business Analyst to join our Portfolio Analytics & Data team to enable us to deeply understand and drive data-informed, high impact business decisions in our org, E&D as well as the company-wide Education space.
In this role, you’ll be joining a team eager to learn, leverage your expertise in building our Data & Analytics capabilities, and nourish our data-informed culture. You will have the opportunity to apply your skills in business analytics and reporting to define and measure the success of our businesses and help deliver insights to inform decisions for creating value for our customers, business and engineers. As part of this position, you will work on many different challenging data modeling & analytics problems across the breadth of the org to answer business questions, define hypotheses and establish success criteria.
The successful candidate will have experience analyzing data from a wide range of datasets and across a breadth of technology platforms to model and build data solutions that address our unique business. We are looking for people who see challenges as opportunities, who can look at complex data problems, model & visualize them, provide actionable insights and build sustainable and effective data solutions to enable informed decisions.
If you enjoy variety in projects, have strong data modeling, analytical, presentation, and business data visualization skills and want to work in a fun and highly collaborative environment, then this is the job for you.
For this technical data and business analyst position, you will have experience in working with across multi-discipline teams to identify analytical needs and create analysis plans, identify and source required data and measures to ultimately deliver and present insights to broad audiences, ranging from engineers to CVPs. The ideal candidate would have working knowledge of KPI development, cohort-based analytics, product usage funnel analysis.
Experience with interactive reporting tools is important for this role (PowerBI, Tableau, Qlik, et). This includes theability to create measures across multiple levels of detail, developing interactivereport navigation for visuals,dashboards & scorecards, as well as knowledge of proper & optimal data visualization techniques (e.g. Tufte, Stephen Few) partnered with effective storytelling capabilities.
On the technical front, we are looking for a candidate with experience writingbasic SQL queries to pull and transformdata from source systems into reporting tables fordownstream consumption.In Addition:
- Intermediate/Advanced knowledge of DAX or of building Tabular Models in Analysis Services would help a candidate excel in this role.
- Advanced Excel skills are required.
- U-SQL and/or Scope knowledge is a plus.
At minimum,the candidate will have programming experience in at least one scripting language and an appetite to learn more as required for the role. Experience with Azure data tools (Analysis Services, Databricks, Data Factory) would be a benefit. Specific background and experience in big-data wrangling and telemetry modeling is also a plus.
On the collaboration front, the ideal candidate will have experience driving partnerships, managing dependencies, collaborative prioritization, sizing/estimation of tasks into realistic schedules, and Agile development practices.
We look for the closest fit to this profile as possible, and a willingness to learn and grow in the other areas as we work on our challenging projects.
- 3+ years of experience in a data analyst role, preferably working with customer usage and telemetry data
- 2 years of experience with technical report development, including independently designing and developing reports and dashboards to support leadership decision making
- 2+ years of experience with agile principles & practices and GIT/VSO
- Ability to understand and translate business and product questions into data & analytics projects
- Ability to articulate vision, requirements, and benefits to business and engineering partners
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders, partner engineering teams, and subject matter experts
- Creativity to find pragmatic paths through ambiguity
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with people representing diverse points of view
- Willingness to work in a start-up type environment with evolving responsibilities and a wide variety of work
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related fields, or sufficient experience in these areas
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.