|Location:||New York, New York|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Call for Postdocs in ML/AI at Microsoft Research NYC
Application deadline: November 29, 2020
We seek outstanding applicantsfora Postdoctoral Researcher positionin the areas of machine learning, artificial intelligence, and related fields.
Microsoft Research offers an exhilarating and supportive environment for cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research, boththeoretical and applied, with access to an extraordinary diversity ofbig and smalldata sources, an open publications policy, and close links to top academic institutions around the world. We seek applicants with the passion and ability to craft and pursue an independent research program, including a strong publication record at top research venues.
The Microsoft Research machine learning group in New YorkincludesHal Daumé III,Miroslav Dudík,ShamKakade,Akshay Krishnamurthy,John Langford,Dipendra Misra,IdaMomennejad,Robert Schapire,Alex Slivkins,Jenn Wortman Vaughan,Hanna Wallach, and Cyril Zhang.We collaborate extensively with the other groups at MSR NYC (fairness/accountability/transparency/ethics in AI,economics and computation,computational social science, andcomputer systems) and with groups across Microsoft Research.
To be assured of full consideration,all ofyour materials,including reference letters, need to be received by November 29, 2020. Applications received after that date may or may not be considered.
To ensure we receive acompleteapplication from you, please be sure to follow these instructions:
- When prompted in your application, please provide the names and contact information of at least 3 referees (in nearly all cases one will be from your dissertation advisor; others may be from any other senior collaborators)
- Upload (as separate attachments to your application) 2 conference or journal articles, book chapters, or equivalent writing samples that you are most proud of and which best demonstrate yourexpertise
- Upload (as an attachment to your application) one academic statement (approximately 3 or 4 pages) that outlines both your research achievements and agenda, and your service and outreach activities and plans (e.g., those related to mentoring or diversity)
After you submit your application, the system will send a request for letters to your list of referees on your behalf. Note:The application system will not request reference letters until after you have submitted your application. You may wish to alert your letter writers in advance so that they will be ready to submit your letter by our application deadline of November 29, 2020. While you will not be able to view the letters themselves, you can check thestatusof individual reference requests within your application.
We are committed to building an inclusive, diverse and pluralistic research environment, and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, as well as students with non-traditional backgrounds.
As a postdoc, you define your research agenda in collaboration with other researchers, driving forward an effective program of basic, fundamental, and applied research. We highly value collaboration and building new ideas with members of the group and others. You have the direct opportunity to realize your ideas in products and services used worldwide.
This role is not to exceed two years.
- PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, operations research, mathematics, or a related field
- Research ability demonstrated by journal and conference publications (Examples include papers in NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, COLT, FAccT, Annals of Statistics, UAI, AAAI, AISTATS, ACL, EMNLP, CVPR, as well as ML/AI-related papers in CHI, EC, ICRA, IROS, RSS, CoRL, KDD, Mathematical Programming, SIGIR, STOC, FOCS, SODA, etc.)
- Research agenda that overlaps with ML group
- Participation and activity in the scientific community
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.