An exciting opportunity has arisen to lead a cross-functional team delivering recombinant antibodies for use in immunohistochemistry applications and manufactured under ISO13485 (2003) quality standard. These antibodies are developed and supplied to our customers for use in critical care, serving as diagnostic reagents in pathology settings. The role is based in Burlingame, California (one of our three sites in the Bay Area) and part of the Global Manufacturing Team, reporting directly to the VP of Global Manufacturing. As well as leading the manufacturing team, the role holder will also provide site leadership to the Burlingame office, facilitating and supporting the local leadership team, driving a positive working culture and acting as key senior escalation point for the site/region.
You will have overall responsibility for providing leadership that will drive performance in a customer-focussed fashion for on-time delivery of exceptional quality antibodies. The person in this role will be experienced in co-ordinating cross-functional teams, driving a culture of continuous improvement and measuring performance against KPIs.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone aiming to deliver real, lasting change and sustainable business benefits who enjoys people leadership and the opportunity to create an amazing place to work.
Burlingame is the primary site for manufacture of recombinant antibodies to support Abcam’s in vitro diagnostic business. New additions to the IVD portfolio are also qualified at this site, in association with our new product discovery site, based in Hangzhou, China and integrated with our product portfolio and innovation team, headquartered in the UK but with team members globally. The IVD portfolio and order management is supported by our supply chain, planning and logistics departments, with customer service support from our customer experience teams, sales team and business development functions. This is a regulated business, operating under ISO13485(2003) standard.
We’re also in the midst of implementation of an ERP system, with integration of warehouse management, planning and order management capabilities.
- Personally, accountable for the delivery of all products, processes and projects that span the IVD Manufacturing function. Prioritise and manage resources to ensure all strategic and tactical objectives are successfully met.
- Lead and build a cross-matrixed team, focussed on delivering on-time manufacture of products, delivered to exceed customer and quality needs
- Manage risks to ensure the continuity of supply and mitigate the potential single points of failure.
- Ensure that staff across all functions are positioned to meet current and future business needs, developing a high performing, sustainable, lean and collaborative group.
- Coach junior members of the team to support their performance and career development, identifying training needs and working with stakeholders to provide support
- Development and reporting KPI metrics to monitor manufacture and portfolio progression, including performance, budget and time criteria, delivering success whilst minimizing cost and time and maintaining quality
- Oversee efficient development and addition of new products to the portfolio
- Deliver an effective stakeholder communication strategy, including engagement with the leadership team to report on progress, identifying constraints and relaying mitigation strategies
- Champion continuous improvement and engage with Operational Excellence and QA teams to deliver effective solutions
- Role model a safe working environment, adhering to Abcam’s H & S standards and Operational Excellence policies
- Be a positive ambassador for change management and the implementation of system solutions
Site leadership responsibilities
- Chairing and facilitating local management team meetings and local ‘all hands’ meetings
- Ensuring the whole site acts with a customer mindset, unblocking challenges to ensure nothing stops life scientists achieving their research missions, faster.
- Leading change, reinforcing key company messages to local staff and acting as a voice of the local office to the global leadership team
- Proactively discuss and support activities to drive a high local employee NPS (net promotor score)
- Act as the key senior escalation point during local crisis situations
- Coaching and mentoring others in the office and support with others personal development
- You will have 7+ years of manufacture, with knowledge of ISO13485 and continuous improvement approaches to optimize performance
- A results oriented, driven individual who possesses the ability to take action and implement effective solutions in a timely manner.
- Use of KPI and critical path measurements will be second nature
- Demonstrates an active change forward and change management mindset and effectively communicates this across the organisation.
- You will have previously demonstrated excellent people management skills and have experience of building cross-functional high performing matrixed teams and be able to coach reports to support their career development.
- A hands-on leader with high EQ as well as IQ, who is authentic and hugely committed to the success of the facility and all its employees
- You will be a confident communicator, able to understand Ab production processes and translate these to manufacturing and supply chain requirements
- Skills with diverse stakeholder management and maintaining engagement and communications across global functions are expected
- An understanding of licensing / trade secrets is advantageous
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.