|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role
The Senior Data Scientist will be a senior technical contributor to the team with deep expertise in analyzing large volumes of complex data, building models to help answer pressing business questions or address customer needs, and communicating their findings to both technical and non-technical audiences. The Senior Data Scientist will work closely with technical and business leadership across Samsara, translate customer problems into concrete quantitative analysis, and iterate on the output with stakeholders.
About the team
Come help us build out the Data Science function at Samsara! To support Samsara’s exponential growth, the Data Science team Data Science team is focused on 3 core areas:
- Help Samsara and our customers solve their toughest problems through data, including building both internal and customer facing data products
- Enable Samsara teams to be more data savvy by building high quality data assets, sharing best practices, and providing training and consultations
- Ensure the integrity of our data to help us confidently make important business decisions
Members of Data Science will work cross-functionally with other teams across Samsara, getting an opportunity to interact with diverse data sets, including our large volumes of time-series sensor data (nearly 3M data points collected every minute!)
In this role, you will:
- Leverage SQL or Python to shape and structure large, complex data sets for analysis
- Build statistical and machine learning models to identify patterns, anomalies, and root causes (e.g., analyzing sensor temperatures to spot unhealthy devices)
- Meet with technical and non-technical stakeholders to understand data structures and determine business priorities
- Create data visualizations and other summary output to support decision-making from operational and leadership teams
An ideal candidate has:
- BA / MS / PhD or equivalent coursework in engineering or quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, etc.)
- Experience with data manipulation and processing, preferably in SQL or Python on very large datasets (e.g., using PySpark)
- Experience building statistical / machine learning models, preferably in Python (e.g., using Tensorflow, etc.)
- Familiarity managing data science code via GitHub or other code versioning tool
- Comfortable reading and understanding full-stack / backend development code (e.g., our Go code base) to understand data logging / instrumentation
- Experience with data visualization using Python libraries or BI tools (e.g., Tableau)
- 4+ years experience as a data scientist, data engineer, or related role
- Preferred: Experience deploying and optimizing machine learning models for very large datasets (1B+ rows)
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.