|Job Type:||Full Time|
Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
The Corporate Functions Engineering (CFE) team, which is part of CSEO, is on a mission to transform and modernize Microsoft’s core systems and services that power the company’s Human Resources, Financial, Professional Services, and Legal organizations. We are growing a strong, diverse team of engineers and have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more. This Principal Software Engineering Lead position will have visibility to cross company learning and development initiatives and will have broad company impact and will lead a SWE team to define and deliver learning solutions to meet all our employee needs. We are in the early days of our transformation journey, so there is huge opportunity to show impact, and land great user experiences.
- Bring clarity, create energy, and drive results. You’ll set a technical vision, rally the team behind it, and deliver for our customers
- Demonstrate the Microsoft manager attributes of model, coach, and care with the engineers on your team to help them learn, grow, and succeed
- Plan and prioritize work for your team, including collaborating with partner organizations
- Create an inclusive environment that attracts and retains high-performing engineers
- Constantly learn and grow as an engineer and an engineering leader
- Lead the team in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes from Microsoft and industry
- Support and influence the team culture of being customer centric and continuously improving. Identify and implement engineering best practices. Drive Live Site culture within the organization to ensure services truly delight our customers
- Championing engineering practices that ensure safe and fast paced releases of our programs & features
- Implement and maintain excellent design and development processes
- In collaboration with others apply engineering principles to solve complex problems while leveraging sound engineering practices
- Flight code changes and drive telemetry and analytics to take a data-driven approach to understanding customer impact
- 10 years' minimum experience in Software Engineering, Software Development, or Software Design
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Design, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required
- At least two years of experience leading a team of engineers by setting clear expectations, keeping team members energized, and delivering great results.
- 10+ years of industry software engineering experience, including delivering highly available cloud-based services
- 3+ years of Agile Experience
- Strong Architecture skills, and practical implementation experience of design patterns
- Strong partnership, communication, and cross-group collaboration skills
- Demonstrated ability to impact/influence engineering and project teams
- High engineering standards. You understand that it’s not enough to write working code. It must also be well-designed, secure, easy to test, easy to monitor in the cloud, and easy to add to over time
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting and be able to research innovative solutions for challenging business/technical problems
- Experience shaping a DevOps culture with a vision for building and nurturing an innovative culture while maintaining a Live Site focus
- Strong technical background and solid foundation in software engineering principles and architecture design balanced with understanding the business solutions needed
- Ability to quickly ramp on new service offerings and technical components.
- A passion for improving and designing engineering practices and for Engineering Excellence which delight customers
- Strong networking, written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in development and design at scale
- Expertise and knowledge in modern engineering practices (Continuous Integration, TDD, automated deployments with integrated quality gates)
- Solid object-oriented design, critical thinking, software debugging and problem-solving skills
- Experience with microservices, serverless architectures
- Experience in NoSQL data storage systems and patterns (for example Azure Tables, CosmosDB)
- Experience in supportability “DevOps” environment
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.