|Job Type:||Full Time|
This position is open for remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Smartphones are part of our everyday lives: keeping us connected to our friends and family, getting us to our meetings on time, or just making us smile as we play the latest amazing games on them. To win the hearts and minds of the developers of apps for those platforms, it’s vital for Microsoft to present versatile cross-platform development solutions, freeing those developers from having to duplicate their work across multiple development machines.
The Xamarin Extensions for Visual Studio team is focused on building tools for cross-platform mobile app development. Our work enables developers to use Visual Studio, and Visual Studio for Mac, to build engaging and performant applications for Apple iOS and Google Android, as well as Microsoft mobile devices.
Our engineers are distributed across several different cities and countries. We’re proud of our diversity, and are continually engaged in improving the experiences for our customers– whomever they may be, and wherever they may live and work – as well as improving the experiences of our colleagues across Microsoft. We are an agile team, working with both open- and closed-source codebases, teaming up with our Program Management counterparts and our user community to define the best path forward for innovative features. We have a strong growth mindset and a dedication to respect, diversity, and inclusion, holding ourselves accountable to these tenets in order to create a work environment in which each team member can grow a rewarding career at Microsoft.
The ideal candidate for this role will have significant experience in the mobile application space, ideally with experience in building development tools. They would have experience as a professional software developer, as well as track record of nurturing successful, high-performing, and most importantly, happy teams. This manager role is for a “player-coach” … someone who is equally comfortable getting into technical details in architecture and codereviews, as well as mentoring and guiding the professional development of their colleagues.
In addition, as a senior leader, the person in this role will be expected to help definethe strategy for theteam, helping influence decisions and build consensus towards this broader strategic vision.
Quality is an important consideration, and for us, this requires a multi-faceted approach. We continue to develop a robust and comprehensive set of tests, covering not only the functionality delivered by the mobile tools, but also ensuring high-performance, security, accessibility and several other attributes of quality. Understanding real-world usage through the capture and analysis of telemetry data, while protecting our user’s privacy, is also very important to the success of this team.
In addition to the direct management of the Mobile Tools team, the person in this role will be expected to develop strong working relations across the organization, including other engineering teams as well as Program Managers. A successful candidate for this role will have great people skills, including not only communication and collaboration, but also the ability to listen to all viewpoints and, from that, derive the best possible direction for the team. Collaboration, leading through influence, and consensus-building are key elements of the role.
- Lead a team to build best-in-class Visual Studio and Visual for Studio Mac tooling for mobile developers.
- Work collaboratively with PM, design, with a high performing team of developers and across engineering teams to help deliver the Mobile Tools for Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac.
- Working through ambiguity and helping create clarity for the team.
- Create well architected technical designsand achievable schedules, provide technical leadership, and make your own significant contributions to the code base.
- Monitor and understand customer usage of the Mobile Tools in Visual Studio and Visual Studio for Mac. This Includes analysis of crashes, hangs, performance, and non-fatal exceptions
- Innovate and develop new metrics to better understand reliability, performance, usability and functional completeness.
- Collaborate with other teams and help build consensus on priorities for both the Technical Insights team as well as other teams within the organization.
- Champion Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) work throughout the organization, creating “safe spaces” for people to explore D&I work, with the goal of developing new skills, empathy and growth.
7+ years of experience developing commercial software
3+ years people management experience
5+ years C# experience
- Experience with mobile application development, including Apple Xcode and Google Android Studio;
- Experience with building development tools;
- Familiarity with GDPR and other similar customer data privacy standards
- 2+ years of experience in collecting and analyzing customer usage telemetry data
- 2+ years of experience diagnosing application hang and crash reports
- Experience maintaining,and contributing to open source projects
- Detail oriented design, coding, debugging and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to quickly learn new technologies and efficiently collaborate with partners to deliver outstanding results.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Strong empathy for customers and persistent drive to learn from them
- Ability to create clarity and generate energy within the team to achieve successful outcomes
- Willingness to deep dive in technology and the ability to zoom out to frame the big picture
- A computer science background (undergraduate degree or equivalent)
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.