|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you want to be at the heart of Microsoft’s massive digital and cultural transformation? Are you a diehard UXer who thrives on tackling tough challenges? Are you passionate about people and want to work in a vibrant Studio where design and research work closely together? Then check us out!
Core Services Engineering & Operations (CSEO) builds the products and services that Microsoft runs on and our CSEO Studio team is playing a critical role by bringing together expertise in design, research, and accessibility to create experiences that empower our fellow employees to achieve more in their lives. Together with our partners, we’re raising the bar of user experience so we can all make a difference at Microsoft.
The Senior Designer position requires a strong and experienced product design person. This person is well versed in working on product coherency and can help build a Brand framework and system that extends product design into the entire user’s journey, from awareness, to acquiring, learning and using the product(s). This person is a strong systems thinker, with a great visual eye and can just as well work independently to build a vision, as well as collaborates well with other disciplines both in product and marketing people. This person is creative in their problem-solving solutions and can articulate a strong design point-of-view. They can inspire a team of designers with deep and diverse design skills as well as Researchers, PMs and Developers. Most importantly this person will be a driver of change, open to new possibilities, impact oriented, and brings a diverse perspective that complements the Studio and helps drive for better user experience solutions.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead multiple projects end-to-end and be a strong Brand and System stakeholder, partnering closely with Product, Marketing, Business and Technology stakeholders
- Creates beautiful and impactful visuals that help expand and evolve Microsoft Brand as appropriate
- Envision and create the right design solutions whether in known or highly ambiguous situations
- Understand the Business & Technological constrains and how that impacts design
- Develop and execute the experience framework with deep foundation in Research and cohesive end-to-end design solutions
- Be a strong voice for the user and ensure Inclusive Design practices are implemented
- Create and oversee scenarios, process flows, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, prototypes, UI pattern libraries, interaction guidelines and other artifacts required to develop and evolve designs for a set of products, tools and services
- Work collaboratively on a larger design team made up of interaction designers, visual designers, motion designers and front-end developers focused on end-to-end experiences
- Execute all design activities with high-quality and thoroughness
- Partner closely with multiple disciplines (especially Research and Engineering) on aligned goals
- Inspire and mentor both internal and external Designers & Researchers
- Deliver great results that are simple, emotionally rewarding and that make employees, customers and partner’s lives better.
- 8+ years of relevant design experience with proven success in working with partners and customers
- Bachelor's/Master’s degree in product design, HCI, interaction design, industrial design, communication design, architecture, or equivalent experience
- Deep expertise of fundamental visual design disciplines (typography, iconography, composition, color, layout, etc.) and creation of a variety of visual mood boards, storyboards, creative briefs, and motion and visual guidelines
- Strong design capabilities, including composition, layout information hierarchy, typography, color, animation, motion or industrial design.
- Eye and passion for product quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail
- Innate curiosity, data driven, and ability to self-start in an ambiguous and rapidly changing startup-like environment, growth mindset
- Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood diagrams, wireframes, concept maps, prototypes, interaction guidelines and other related artifacts with a strong interaction point-of-vie
- Experience shipping innovative and complex mobile, web or software products while meeting and exceeding milestone deadlines
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to think strategically and agilely
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively cross functionally with other teams (Engineering, Research, Program Management & Marketing)
- Great written and verbal communication/presentation skills
- Motion and technical prototyping skills are highly desired
A portfolio demonstrating breadth and creativity and proven experience in telling stories, building UI models, generating detailed wire frames, developing prototypes and delivering comprehensive specifications. Please indicate your specific roles and contributions for each project submitted as part of the portfolio.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.