|Job Type:||Full Time|
The game industry, the fastest growing sector of the entertainment industry, is being heavily disrupted by cloud technology. Virtually all game developers are evolving to deliver Games-as-a-Service, centered on continuous content delivery and player engagement, and require accelerated production environments, agile back-end infrastructure, and live ops services.
Microsoft is uniquely positioned to lead this transformation to cloud-based gaming, thanks to assets like our first party studios (Halo, Minecraft), our Xbox gaming platform, and Azure, one of the largest public clouds and the fastest-growing business in Microsoft’s history.
The Gaming Vertical team leads Microsoft’s business selling tools and services to game creators. Our mission is to empower game creators to realize their dreams. We have a startup culture in which we dream big, move fast, and work directly with our customers. Our aspiration is nothing short of delivering the world’s best cloud platform for game developers across the entire gaming life cycle, from pre-production, to development, to testing and deployment, to ongoing operation and monetization.
The DirectorofCloud Developer Advocacy for Gaming isresponsible forgeneratingexcitementand enthusiasm behindMicrosoft’s cloud services for game developers.With deep experience building and using cloud services for games, this individualwillhelpgame developerslearn how to leverage Microsoft’s cloud services toachieve success and realize their dreams.
This individualmust beadeeplytechnicalstorytellerwhoenjoysconnecting with other technical decision makers,inside the company and out.They willfocus onwinning the hearts and minds of technical audiences at scalebycreatingamazing samples and contentand nurturing the formation of community around our services.This role presents an opportunity to have a tangible impact on the future of the game industry.
This individualwill build and manage a team ofcontent creators, being very hands on and leading by example.
Specific job responsibilitiesof a Cloud Developer Advocate for Gaminginclude:
- Educate current and potential customers on Microsoft’s relevant cloud gaming solutions.
- Build a steady drumbeat of technical content that excites, inspires, and motivates developers totake actionon Microsoft solutions. This content may include:
- Learning modules, hosted on MicrosoftLearn.
- Webinars, videos, podcasts, or other materials.
- Deeply technical customer case studies, reference architectures, code samples
- Blog posts, white papers, tutorials, and other material.
- Identify and help fix gaps in existing documentation.
- Develop workshops and demos to help customers understand and evaluate our services.
- Proactively engage withthegame development community, meeting them where they are.
- Network and build relationships with the top gaming developer thought leaders and earn their trust and respect for Microsoft technologies.
- Partner closely with product marketing to shape our narrative around cloud services for gaming and amplify technical content you produce.
- Give talks at industry events.
- Have a strong vision for where the industry isgoing, andstay on top of new technologies that may prove disruptive in the future.
- Roll up your sleeves and experiment with new technologies. Build proof-of-concept prototypes to try out new ideas or stitch together end-to-end solutions.
- Build relationships with key influencers, foster a healthy technical community, and collect and prioritize product feedback and technical blockers with engineering.
- Scale your efforts by partnering with the Microsoft field and developers intechnicalcommunity programs like Microsoft MVPs, Docker Captains, Oracle Java Champions, etc, as well as game community programs likeID@Xbox.
- Use data, experiments, and customer feedback to drive growth in the community.
- 2+ years of experience managing developer advocacy or developer relations teams.
- 6+ years of relevant experience in the game industry, with exposure to creators of all sizes, from small indie studios up to massive AAA developers.
- A history of leadership and service in one or more game developer communities.
- Solid communication skillsasboth a strong technical writeranda dynamic public speaker.
- Passion for meeting with and engaging new people, online and offline.
- Ability to work independently in highly ambiguous environments, with both technical and business groups internally and externally.Self motivating, andself directed.
- Expert in modern live game technologies, including multiplayer, content management, data and analytics, and in-game commerce.
- Deep familiarity with modern cloud technologies, including AWS, Azure, or GCP; modern agile development practices, including DevOps; and popular open source solutions like MongoDB, MySQL, Redis; developer platforms like .NET, Java, node.js.
- A self-starter that can manage and prioritize initiatives that will make our developers and platform the most successful.
- Travel may be required depending on where local and national developer events are held.
- Proven experience working with 3rd party communities, social media and blogging required
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.