|Job Type:||Full Time|
Do you enjoy software development and working directly with customers? Are you excited about working across a broad spectrum of domains including Cloud Native, DevOps, IoT, Machine Learning, and High Scale Compute?
The Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) team is a global engineering organization that works directly with customers looking to leverage the latest technologies to address their toughest challenges and transform their industries using cloud-based solutions. We work closely with our customers’ engineers to develop code to jointly solve their biggest challenges to accelerate progress in their organization. In the process, we help shape the future of our own platforms by partnering with our product groups to improve them. We pride ourselves on making contributions to open source and make our platforms easier to adopt.
We sit side-by-side with our customers to collaboratively innovate custom solutions tailored to solve their challenges. Our work involves the development of high-impact, open source software assets that contribute to the Microsoft platform that are broadly applicable.
Be respectful and inclusive – As a group, we work to build consensus with our teammates and customers. We’re looking for the sort of person who enjoys a culture that ensures that all voices and perspectives are heard and considered.
- Exhibiting technical leadership throughout the broader CSE organization, with the Microsoft Product teams and the OSS community
- Working hands-on with your team and our customers through design and implementation, setting examples for good engineering practices and coding along the way
- Continuously improving our ability to deliver quality solutions through evolving our engineering process and technical capabilities
- In CSE, the Principle role is 70% hands-on, with the remaining 30% focused on architecture and design, as well as mentoring and upskilling the team
We do not believe that any specific education major is a requirement to be successful in this role. We are open to all backgrounds and are looking for candidates with demonstrated ability to deliver on the responsibilities below.
- 7+ years of experience shipping or running production systems and/or software, including complex production systems that run on a public cloud
- Proven experience providing leadership with organization-wide impact, showing applied technical competence, meaningful and durable cross-organization technical collaboration, or both
- Strong service delivery experience including architecture and coding, and ideally building cloud services
- We do not require deep expertise in all software stacks that customers use. However, we do look for people who have significant expertise in one software stack (and preferably more)
- Experience working within and directing geographically dispersed, diverse, and virtual teams
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or the equivalent
- Industry experience in one of the following industries: automotive, energy, travel and transportation, financial services, government, health, manufacturing, media & communications, or retail
- Enjoy travel and are comfortable with regional travel up to 25%
At Microsoft we are seeking people who have a passion for the positive impact technology can have on the communities and for making a difference in the world. Within CSE, we have an informal and flexible work environment and you’ll be welcome to work from home, our offices, customer sites– wherever is best for you to get your job done. We invest in your health, wellness and financial future by offering a competitive package including a wide range of benefits built around your personal needs and those close to you.
We welcome diversity of all kinds. Our team includes many perspectives, cultures, educational backgrounds, life stages, identities, and technical skills, and we believe this contributes to our success and that of our customers. If you love writing quality code and learning new technologies, enjoy thinking about challenging engineering problems and, above all, if you’re able to lead others to do the same, then we’d love to hear from you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.