|Job Type:||Full Time|
Does the opportunity to create measurable user impact across some of Microsoft's biggest groups and products (WebXT, Office and Windows), create homepages and new tab page experiences for over 500M users and impact the daily habit of users sound exciting? The Start Experiences team is looking for an experienced data scientist or engineer to manage a team that is responsible for driving key insights and data-driven experiments across a range of Microsoft products, most notably MSN apps. In this management role, you will define and drive big data analysis to inform business critical decisions and priorities for a range of Microsoft products.
On the Start Experiences team, our goal is to help users build a daily habit as they start their online journey by offering contextual, personally relevant, engaging and highly performant homepage and new tab experiences. In this new fiscal year, our Start Experiences will focus on driving growth and engagement on both Windows and Edge with homepage and new tab pages on desktop, mobile and Xbox, additional browser plug ins, super app homepage and our direct nav homepage experiences: Bing.com, MSN.com and Microsoftnews.com.
We are a fast growing, inclusive team looking to add to our dynamic with individuals who are passionate about data and metrics (like us!), thrive in a collaborative environment and who continually seek not only to develop themselves, but to support the success of those around them.
As a Principal Data & Applied Scientist on our team, some of your responsibilities and opportunities for impact will include:
- Define and communicate a vision for an extensive data scientist effort directly managing data scientists and directly coordinating with multiple partner teams
- Work with partner teams such as Edge, Content Services Feature team, Office and others to deliver coordinated value and services
- Establish rigorous engineering processes and data-driven principles to ensure high service quality, predictable delivery of new capabilities, analytics, insights, and continuously improving metrics
- Develop a long-term roadmap to ensure key business metrics are continuously tracked and improved, trends are identified and predicted from data to guide the business growth, researches / data mining / experiments are conducted to continuously provide recommendation to the product teams
- Create scalable data solutions and processes to ensure underlying telemetry data are correctly logged and flexible to conduct different types of analysis
- Develop talent and grow your team into a high performing healthy data scientist organization
- Establish a positive, mutually supporting, inclusive team culture consistent with Microsoft cultural attributes, values, leadership principles and manager expectations
- 7+ years of experience in a Software Engineer, Data Scientist or related role
- 5+ years of experience working on Web services / mobile app data
- 5+ years of experience with SQL, Spark, Hive and/or Scope (or similar)
- 3+ years of experience in mentor, lead and/or manager roles
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or similar field (or equivalent work experience)
The below skills and experiences are relevant to this role, but not required:
- Working knowledge of advanced statistics, data science, machine learning
- Experience with large scale data process infrastructure, such as Cosmos/Scope/Spark, and analytics tools
- Ability to make compelling visualizations using Excel and PowerBI or other data analysis tools such as Tableau, SAS, or R
- Experience working on large-scale projects across divisions, ensuring upstream instrumentation/telemetry is in place to gather required business insights, driving complex key business metrics development and analysis to meet agile business needs
- A systematic problem solver who quickly ramps up, understand complex problems, and create impact that cross many product teams
- Strong customer obsession to study and understand real world user behavior and intention, being passionate about identifying issues in the products, conducting experiments to provide the best possible experiences to customers.
- Strong presentation skills and executive presence required to present your analysis to the Partner and VP level at the monthly business review and other meetings to ensure that your team’s insights make an impact.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.