|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you passionate about building cool devices and technologies? The Surface Team focuses on lighting up Microsoft experiences with touch first computing. A fundamental part of our strategy is having desirable and powerful devices that enable the experiences people want and elicit their excitement. Creating these devices involves a close partnership between hardware and software engineers, designers, and manufacturing. We are currently building the next generation and Surface needs you!
We are currently looking for a talented individual to join Battery Development team to design leading edge battery packs. As a Battery System Engineer you will be working on the latest technology and materials to give Surface products energy sources that are safe, compact, lightweight, and bring the best experience to users.
As a Sr Battery System Engineer (BSE), you will be working on the latest technology to give Surface products energy sources that are compact, lightweight, and bring the best experience to users. To be successful, you will need to collaborate across a variety of internal functional groups and also with external development partners. You will be responsible for the design and execution of Surface battery packs for a platform of Surface devices. The BSE is responsible for end-to-end specification, design, and development of the battery pack with sole ownership of the electrical portion and supported ownership of the mechanical and cell aspects of the pack. The electrical portion includes Protection Circuit Modules, Fuel Gauging, and Charge/Discharge specs for Surface Li Ion battery packs. Your role is providing design direction to and receiving feedback from suppliers, resulting in a documented, reviewed, and tested design. You will partner closely with the platform team to ensure that development build needs are met and that issues are resolved quickly.
- Partner closely with Surface design engineers to develop a safe and reliable battery system that meets physical, environmental and specific usage constraints, and work to refine these parameters as needed adjusting for frequent design changes.
- Design of the battery protection PCB and associated components, battery controller programming, physical layout design to meet capacity and space requirements, adoption and full support of critical safety considerations, prototype evaluation, safety reviews, design reviews and vendor inspections as required.
- Mentoring and coaching other engineers in team to enhance their overall growth in the battery sciences.
- Additional tasks include research and development of new battery designs, new charging techniques and other battery-related activities.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in electrical engineering or other engineering/science degree and at least 5 years of experience designing and testing board-level circuits
- Deep knowledge of battery safety requirements and supporting circuitry
- Experience with fuel gauging algorithms and tradeoffs
- In-depth knowledge of Li Ion battery behavior across usage and environmental conditions
- Experience with serial digital communications, such as I2C and SMBus.
- PCB layout considering power and signal integrity
- Component selection for power applications
- Proficiency with battery test systems and methods
- Experience with DFMEA process
- Demonstrated track record working with overseas suppliers, preferably in high-volume products
- Experience translating system-level requirements into component-level requirements
- Desire and ability to work across ME and Cell disciplines
- Desire to learn and to question the status quo to drive better products
- Team-oriented approach with the desire to both teach and learn from others
- Proven written and oral communication skills
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.