|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you looking to join a fast-paced team delivering industry leading products? Microsoft’s Surface is looking for a talented individual to join the Battery team to design leading edge battery packs. As a Battery Cell Engineer, you will be working on the latest technology and materials to give Surface products energy sources that are compact, lightweight, and bring the best experience to users. You will help define and drive a leading-edge battery roadmap beyond the 5 year plan. You will represent Microsoft in the industry as a driver in this technology.
- Design and qualify new cell technology platforms by working across cell suppliers to adapt their technologies into a cell design that represents the needs across multiple Microsoft programs.
- Drive new technology development with cell suppliers.
- Oversee qualification testing and analyze any failures to ensure that there are no delays in new technology availability.
- Design custom cells for new programs in accordance with qualified cell technology, maximizing performance and minimizing risk. Track all qualifications of new cells.
- Audit cell manufacturing builds to ensure that processes and tooling will give quality cells for both development and mass production. Provide feedback for supplier improvement.
- Coach and Mentor other engineers in the battery sciences
Work with start-up companies and universities to evaluate promising new battery materials and technologies.
- Master's degree or higher in Material Science, Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering or other engineering/science degree
- 5+ years’ experience developing cells
- Demonstrated capability in cell design and deep understanding of associated tradeoffs
- Proven grasp of emerging battery technologies relevant to consumer electronics
- Experience translating system-level requirements into component-level requirements
- PhD desired
- Fluent with regulatory standards pertaining to Li Ion batteries
- Proficiency with battery test systems and methods
- Demonstrated track record working with overseas suppliers, preferably in high-volume products
- Proficiency with multi-cell battery pack design
- Technical drive and curiosity for understanding all aspects of battery cell and pack design and manufacturing
- Passion for improving processes, sharing with others, and learning from others
- Ability to contribute constructively to technical debate that leads to better designs
- Excellent written and oral communication
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.