|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you passionate about building state of the art software and accelerating your growth as an engineer? Do you want to work in a world class engineering team with an exceptional record of innovation and execution that has made us one of the largest businesses within Microsoft? If yes, keep reading…
The Azure Synapse SQL team delivers world class relational data warehouse server technologies used across the globe on to some of the largest Cloud deployments in the world. Everywhere you look, the amount of data being generated in the world is soaring. With this dramatic growth, the importance of the data platform continues to grow tremendously. Data is at the heart of the Cloud. Winning in the Cloud requires rich data services that provide deep insights from data. All of this must be done while supporting high availability, predictability and elasticity; Supporting peta bytes of data; ability to scale out; supporting unlimited concurrency and scale, a query that utilizes 1000’s of cores. Does this sound like an interesting problem? If yes, talk to us in the Synapse SQL team. We have made a big bet on our super-successful business winning in the Cloud. We will win by building the world’s best data management Cloud platform and transform how people use databases. But to do that, we need your help. Our competition is fierce, and our aspirations are bold!
This is an opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the industry to rebuild the core SQL RDBMS engine for Cloud. The challenges span the entire stack of database technology - programming language, query processing, storage engine, data management involving 100s of nodes. The solutions that our engineers work on incorporate the latest academic research and leverage the benefits of modern hardware advancements with a goal of supporting some of the largest databases on the planet and bring record-breaking query performance capabilities and ease of management to them. Finally, you will learn what it takes to deploy and run software as a 24x7 enterprise grade cloud service!
We are the Azure Data teams part of the C+E Azure organization. Azure Big data teams present interesting challenges in technologies such as big-data, cloud, storage and open-source. We build reliable, highly scalable and highly performing distributed systems for data analytics on Azure. We work with various open-source technologies like Hadoop, Yarn, etc., and make contributions to these technologies. We are creating a planetary scale storage system, which can scale to Exabyte of data (yes, that’s 18+ digits!). Azure services is building next generation globally distributed, elastic scale, multi-model cloud database services. It is designed to enable developers to build planet-scale applications. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a very agile team, take on hard distributed system problems and ship high impact features at a rapid pace.
As an engineering manager, you have an opportunity to lead and work with some of the smartest engineers on the latest technology in Azure Synapse SQL, to build highly scalable and performant data load. You will be responsible for all aspects of data ingestion and exhaust, you will be expected to design, implement, drive the architectural direction of features that enable seamless, high-performance parallel data transfer between our service and our customers' other properties, both in the cloud and on-premise. We need collaborative developers who can think big, deliver on those big challenges, and along the way, change the world. We’re looking for leaders to build them from the ground up. Want to change the world with data and large-scale distributed systems? Do you want to solve challenges that you didn’t even know existed until you get to a large size? Come join us on the Azure data team!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT technical discipline or 10+ years of industry engineering experience
- 10+ years of programming experience in Java OR C++ OR C OR object-oriented programming
- Experience leading and managing a team of engineers to ship features in cloud.
- Experience building and shipping production grade software or services.
- Experience building and operating online services and fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Experience creating and shipping V1 products using modern development practices.
- Experience using agile methodologies or test-driven development (TDD).
- Great curiosity and willingness to question.
- High enthusiasm, integrity, ingenuity, results-orientation, self-motivation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced competitive environment.
- Love the next problem, the next experiment, the next partner.
- Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes.
- Get excited by the challenge of hard technical problems.
- Solve problems by always leading with deep passion and empathy for customers.
- Experience with Open Source Big Data Stack such as Hadoop, HIVE, SPARK, HBASE etc.
- Understanding of data structures, algorithms and distributed systems
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.