Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Looking to join a Technology team that has a relentless commitment to supporting diversity, driving enthusiasm and motivating employees to achieve their career aspirations? We hope this technology career opportunity establishes that connection for you. For 14 years, Discover has been recognized as a best place to work for information Technology professionals. If this opportunity is not a direct connection for you but might be a fit for someone else, share with a friend or colleague as your good deed for the day.
In our Payment Services Technology area, we are rapidly expanding our Service Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. You will be empowered (yes, empowered) to apply software engineering techniques and discipline to production operations and help us delivery the world’s greatest solutions. If you are the type of person that loves driving technology problem solving sessions; has a tireless passion to increase the resiliency and availability of software products serving the greatest Customers and Partners in the World; we believe our SRE opportunity will allow you to be the superstar of all superstars!
To be clear, the position is responsible for the provisioning, availability, performance, and end to end customer experience for our Payment Services platforms. You will also be deeply involved in system roadmap planning and release management activities as well. Overall, you will become a rock star subject matter expert on the operation of these world class core systems powering our great Fortune 300 Company (which really operates like a startup). Additionally you will promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
To be successful (and we know you can), you will need to have a strong understanding with work experience in cloud based and virtual system infrastructure and peripheral services including network, firewall, and database management. We also need you to understand the application development and quality assurance ends of the spectrum as you will need to interface with that crew as well.
Sounds awesome doesn’t it? We think so but we ultimately need you to make this a reality. You will be exposed to the latest technologies in the Industry while helping us create the next generation of Payment solutions (mobile payments, remote commerce, IoT payments, etc.). All cutting edge and you have the opportunity to be right in the middle of it. Motivated by leading your work vs. following a checklist, enjoy advocating for and driving change as well as inventing features or projects that solve a business challenge. Join our team. Do not hesitate as the naming rights to this team are still open to the early hires!!!
What You’ll Do
- Handle responsibilities for operational stability and performance of one or more critical business services used by Discover customers and employees.
How You’ll Do It
Operational stability and performance
- Work with other members of their assigned value stream to ensure that in-scope applications/platforms are meeting performance and stability requirements. This includes managing major incidents to mitigation/resolution.
- Perform post-incident reviews of all major incidents and determine action items required to avoid similar issues/minimize downtime for future incidents.
Monitors and metrics:
- Work with Application Development to ensure that assigned applications/platforms have appropriate monitoring and metrics in place to appropriately measure performance and stability.
Identify functional and non-functional improvements:
- Act as the Operations representative in value stream planning and prioritize sessions to ensure that operational needs of assigned applications/platforms are addressed as needed. Hold quarterly operational performance reviews with value stream management.
Release planning and coordination:
- Work with other members of his/her assigned value stream to ensure that the production releases for their in scope applications/platforms are properly planned and coordinated. This includes Holds Change/Release implementation reviews to ensure thorough and appropriate implementation plans.
Review and sign-off/approval of change tickets for the assigned value stream:
- Represent the value stream at Change Advisory Board Meetings.
- Participate in Program Increment Planning Sessions as a liaison for Operations and Infrastructure support.
- Provide information regarding upcoming critical changes to the value stream.
- Ensure that applications/platforms in the value stream are operationally ready for production. This includes Annual Review of all SOPs/knowledge articles.
- Monitor review for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact monitoring.
- Review SOP/knowledge article for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact support documentation.
- Train Command Center and Application 1st level Support on new SOPs, knowledge articles, and any other support-related needs.
- Perform monthly capacity analysis of applications/platforms within the value stream. Create and maintain operationally focused ELK dashboards for the value stream.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer information systems, computer science, MIS, engineering, science, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in information technology, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in Information Technology, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- 5+ years’ experience in technology (Either Systems/Architecture or Infrastructure Services/Support)
- Solid communications skills to work with our business users and internal BT support teams
- Experience developing and documenting solutions, processes and issues (Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Excel) and be able to present and facilitate technical discussions
- 4+ years of experience in technology, or related field
- 5+ yrs. experience working in a technology environment (preferably Agile)
- Ability to work on and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Extensive working knowledge of Linux/UNIX and write bash/shell scripts
- Understand the concepts of Continuous Delivery and Lean/Agile
- Skilled in task automation, continuous integration and delivery (test automation, release management, DevOps)
- Hands on experience working with Chef, Jenkins, Gradle, Nexus, Git, Application Dynamics, and SonarQube
- Familiar with Java and Python libraries
- Familiar with Rest API Data Services and GemFire memory databases
- Familiar with Message Bus (RabbitMQ)
- Familiar with cloud-based IaaS and PaaS solutions (AWS, Cloud Foundry)
- Demonstrates the ability to work well in a team environment
- Proven ability to deliver high quality, detail-oriented documentation
- Flexible team player with a hyper focus on the customer
- Strength in adapting to a highly dynamic environment of change as needed
- Perform trend analysis of system logs, application logs, history reports, audits, performance management data, et cetera. to identify performance issues and drive improvements to ensure optimal performance
- Ability to travel as needed, domestically and internationally (less than 10% annually)
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.