|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Are you interested in working with teams who build cutting-edge cloud technology that enables organizations and their users to achieve more? Do you operate with a growth mindset and are you relentlessly customer-focused?
The legal team that supports Experiences and Devices (E+D) in Microsoft’s Corporate, External, & Legal Affairs (CELA) group has an immediate opening for a dynamic, highly motivated and experienced attorney at our global headquarters in Redmond, Washington. You will be responsible for providing legal guidance, directly and in coordination with other attorneys and legal professionals, to business leaders and their teams on a range of legal, policy, business and strategic issues, supporting the E+D engineering teams.
The CELA legal group works on complex business, legal, and regulatory issues around the world, playing a proactive role and apply creative legal strategies to advance business goals and benefit customers, industry partners, and the communities where we live and work.
- Legal Advice and Counsel - You act as the primary legal contact for a product, product feature, team, or corporate function and you execute and/or resolve legal matters; you advocate for Microsoft's needs; you actively participate in legal, work, or industry associations; you monitor and exemplify legal compliance policy/standards and advise clients on compliance issues.
- Subject Expertise - You provide actionable advice on legal and business matters and serve as an important contributor for clients and colleagues; you have an in-depth understanding of the product and you engage with colleagues to identify and share best practices; you have an understanding of legal principles and interpret legal information.
- Solution Implementation - You identify, anticipate, and develop solutions to mitigate legal risks; you manage project work expenses according to budget and provide feedback to the improvement of project operations.
- Issue Resolution - You resolve issues by managing interactions with outside counsel or other service providers.
- Communication - You organize and simplify issues and ideas in written or verbal communication and you structure, draft, and negotiate transactional documents; you work collaboratively within and across Legal and Corporate functions; you develop positive relationships with external and legal professions, customers, and partners to advocate for Microsoft's interests.
- Collaborate with colleagues and advise engineering clients on a wide variety of complex software development, intellectual property and cloud-related legal and regulatory issues, with an emphasis on privacy, security, and accessibility in connection with the development and operation of Microsoft cloud services.
- Analytical Thinking - The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources; use information to generate insights; and make decisions.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. This includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business's competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs; and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- Legal and Regulatory Requirements - Knowledge of the rules, regulations, sanctions and other statutory requirements, guidelines, and instructions relating to governing bodies and organizations, both internally and externally.
- Legal Acumen - The ability to interpret, analyze, and advise on the company's legal position. This includes the ability to apply knowledge of the legal framework related to one's practice area, use legal information to diagnose key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
- Global Mindset - Knowledge and understanding of global cultures, including similarities and differences. This includes the ability to work across organizational, functional, and geographic boundaries to drive communications, business strategies and multi-geography projects and teams; and adapt to a highly matrixed environment.
- Privacy - Knowledge of rules and Privacy standards and principles.
- Compliance Management - The ability to supervise and observe the organization's conformity to various standards, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree
- Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
- 5+ years experience as a practicing attorney or equivalent practice of law
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.