|Job Type:||Full Time|
In Mixed Reality, people—not devices—are at the center of everything we do. Our tech moves beyond screens and pixels, creating a new reality aimed at bringing us closer together—whether that’s scientists “meeting” on the surface of a virtual Mars or some yet undreamt-of possibility. To get there, we’re incorporating groundbreaking technologies, from the revolutionary Holographic Processing Unit to computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, and more.
We’re a growing team of talented engineers, program managers and artists putting technology on a human path across all Windows devices, including Microsoft HoloLens, the Internet of Things, phones, tablets, desktops, and Xbox. Our team has people from a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, previous work histories, life experiences, and we are eager to maintain and grow that diversity. Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers and make for dynamic and joyful collaborations with colleagues!
If you are passionate about groundbreaking Mixed Reality technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you! #MixedReality
We are seeking a Sr. Technical Program Manager to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in hardware and software development and experience in manufacturing, prototyping, and quality processes. The role involves driving clarity of problem definition across multiple stakeholders to ensure investments are aligned with customer needs and organizational priorities. Working with multiple R&D groups internal and external to Microsoft to collaborate on emerging technologies and helping to incubate those technologies to production-ready states. To do so, you will coordinate development activities across multiple organizations bridging hardware, software, firmware, and more. In this role, you will be the primary driver for multiple development, prototype, and production programs, covering Mechanical and Electrical engineering. You will coordinate with counterparts in Manufacturing and Quality teams. You will be responsible for setting program schedules, budgets, build management, driving issues to closure, and facilitating and reporting on program progress to Senior Leadership on a regular basis.
- Team leadership for cross functional and cross organizational product development teams.
- Working with partner teams to gain an in-depth understanding of the customer, their needs, and key requirements.
- Working across disciplines to turn those requirements into product architectures.
- Program managing schedules, deliverables, product costs, and budgets.
- Work with technical experts across an array of fields to research and innovate solutions to deep technical problems, document plans to prototype solutions, and execute against them.
- Managing vendor engagements, including initial vendor selection, contract generation, budget planning, and negotiations.
- Owning configuration management for mechanical engineering, including part number creation. and revision control, as well as BOM alignment between ME CAD and PDM system.
- Driving collaboration between mechanical engineering, DFX, NPI for proper assembly fixture design, documentation and sign-off.
- Creating the configuration matrix for prototype builds and document in PDM system, including documenting changes through deviations in PDM system.
- Providing on-site support for prototype and engineering builds, to lead team through build plan and debug of issues. Work cross-functionally across internal teams and partner manufacturing teams to achieve build goals.
- Organizing, presenting, and documenting technical and program reviews/status to Senior Management.
- The candidate must be willing and able to travel (domestic and international) to support design and manufacturing activities.
- 6+ years of experience in program management within a product development and engineering team.
- Experience with managing multiple delivered-to-market product development cycles in high performance products incorporating cutting edge technologies preferred.
- Hardware development experience.
- Familiarity working with Asian and European partners.
- Demonstrated cross-functional and cross-org experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- B.S./M.S. in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Software/Firmware background/familiarity.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer, and/or government security screening requirements is required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: the Microsoft Cloud Background Check. This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.