|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world.
You can help us achieve our mission. Microsoft Corporate, External and Legal Affairs (CELA) has an immediate opening for an experienced attorney to support our Web Experiences product team (WebXT), which include Bing Search, Microsoft Advertising, the Edge browser, Maps, News and other Content Services. While this role will span responsibilities across WebXT and other consumer online services businesses, it will have a primary focus on the engineering side of our online advertising products and services. WebXT is a part of Microsoft’s Experiences and Devices group, which develops cutting-edge technologies that present a variety of complex legal issues.
- Legal Advice and Counsel - You act as the primary legal contact for assigned clients, and you provide support and answer questions for higher-level attorneys; you exemplify legal compliance policy/standards and advise clients on compliance issues.
- Subject Expertise - You are a contributor about legal and related business matters for clients and colleagues; you have a basic understanding of legal principles and interpret legal information.
- Solution Implementation - You identify, anticipate, and propose solutions for legal risks; you manage project work expenses according to budget and provide feedback to the improvement of project operations.
- Issue Resolution - You resolve project-specific issues by interacting with outside counsel or other service providers.
- Communication - You organize and simplify issues and ideas in written or verbal communication, and you structure, draft, and negotiate transactional documents; you work collaboratively within and across Legal and Corporate functions; you identify and engage appropriate stakeholders in Legal and Corporate Affairs and escalate issues when necessary.
- Online Services Legal Counseling - You are responsible for supporting a variety of legal needs in connection with Microsoft Advertising and other WebXT businesses, including tracking new or emerging regulations and ensuring products are developed and implemented in accordance with those laws. You will provide legal advice in a fast-paced, dynamic, sometimes ambiguous and matrixed environment, involving a variety of disciplines, including engineering, privacy, data usage, security, marketing, ethics, public relations, finance and business development and drafting of negotiation of licenses and contracts. You will navigate ambiguity, assess and mitigate risk, adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and have the opportunity and need to make tough and sound decisions promptly.
- Analytical Thinking - The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources; use information to generate insights; and make decisions.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. This includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business's competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs; and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- Legal Acumen - The ability to interpret, analyze, and advise on the company's legal position. This includes the ability to apply knowledge of the legal framework related to one's practice area, use legal information to diagnose key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
- Contract Law - Knowledge of the principles and precedents regarding contract law and the ability to apply this knowledge to draft and negotiate contracts using legal information to accurately diagnose business realities, identify key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
- Legal Solutions - The ability to develop legal solutions for clients. This includes identifying legal issues and risks, consulting with internal and external counsel, and evaluating alternative solutions.
- Global Mindset - Knowledge and understanding of global cultures, including similarities and differences. This includes the ability to work across organizational, functional, and geographic boundaries to drive communications, business strategies and multi-geography projects and teams; and adapt to a highly matrixed environment.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree
- Active license to practice law in a US jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
- 3+ years’ experience as a practicing attorney or equivalent practice of law
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 1+ years experience as an attorney in relevant specialized practice areas, including privacy, online services or online advertising, or technology transactions
- In-house counsel experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.