|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
You can help us achieve our mission. Microsoft Corporate, External and Legal Affairs (CELA) has an immediate opening for an experienced attorney to support Microsoft’s Experiences and Devices group, specifically supporting web experiences such as Bing Search, Microsoft Edge, Maps, Microsoft News, and other content services. These teams create cutting-edge technologies that will require you to provide counseling for a wide variety of complex legal issues, but a primary focus for this role will be on content moderation and related litigation and regulatory matters.
- Legal Advice and Counsel - You act as the primary legal contact for assigned clients, and you provide support and answer questions for higher-level attorneys; you exemplify legal compliance policy/standards and advise clients on compliance issues.
- Subject Expertise - You are a contributor about legal and related business matters for clients and colleagues; you have a basic understanding of legal principles and interpret legal information.
- Issue Resolution - You resolve project-specific issues by interacting with outside counsel or other service providers.
- Communication - You organize and simplify issues and ideas in written or verbal communication, and you structure, draft, and negotiate transactional documents; you work collaboratively within and across Legal and Corporate functions; you identify and engage appropriate stakeholders in Legal and Corporate Affairs and escalate issues when necessary.
- Online Services Legal Counseling – You support clients in a fast-paced, dynamic environment addressing issues touching on a variety of often quickly evolving substantive legal areas, including privacy, data usage, intellectual property, security, platform liablity, competition, consumer protection, and transactional matters. You partner across varied disciplines such as marketing, public relations, finance, and business development, and bring an ethical, collaborative, customer-focused approach to solving problems. You navigate ambiguity, asses and mitigate risk, adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and make tough and sound decisions promptly.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. This includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business's competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs; and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- Legal Acumen - The ability to interpret, analyze, and advise on the company's legal position. This includes the ability to apply knowledge of the legal framework related to one's practice area, use legal information to diagnose key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
- Relationship Management - The ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with supervisors, staff, managers, customers, and vendors. This includes expressing empathy and compassion when dealing with the needs and problems of others, being approachable, taking time to address the concerns of coworkers, and treating others with respect and dignity.
- Client Communications - The ability to communicate clearly, diplomatically and effectively to an audience that may include, staff, investors, stockholders, stakeholders, clients, and others verbally and through announcements, newsletters, memos, annual reports, status reports, and other media.
- Global Mindset - Knowledge and understanding of global cultures, including similarities and differences. This includes the ability to work across organizational, functional, and geographic boundaries to drive communications, business strategies and multi-geography projects and teams; and adapt to a highly matrixed environment.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree
- Active license to practice law in a US jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
- 3+ years’ experience as a practicing attorney or equivalent practice of law
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 1+ year experience as an attorney working on specialized practice areas relevant to product counseling, such as privacy, intellectual property, platform liability, or technology transactions
- In-house technology counsel experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.