|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Samsara’s Quality Engineering (QE) team uses test engineering and data analysis skills to drive product quality so that our customers can realize the full benefits of our platform. In addition to testing the product, the QE team seeks to cultivate a quality culture that produces best in class product reliability, usability, and performance across all of our product development teams.
We’re looking for an experienced firmware quality engineer for our Vehicle Gateway (VG) product, which forms the data foundation for our Telematics offering.
In this role, you will:
- Act as Quality Engineering in a tight knit Firmware Quality pod.
- Partner with your QE lead, Firmware Development and Product teams to define quality goals, expand test coverage, and ensure high quality releases
- Create and maintain comprehensive and effective test suites
- Run systems-level manual and automated in-house acceptance tests and real world driving tests to detect defects and regressions in our cloud application and devices (note that a driver’s license and willingness to test drive j1939 port type vehicles is required)
- Rapidly diagnose issues and perform root cause analysis with firmware, backend, and fullstack developers
- Actively champion a culture of quality by analyzing product quality data and deriving / delivering actionable product quality insights to product development teams
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field. Electrical or Computer Engineering preferred
- 3+ years of experience in a quality engineering function
- Strong technical understanding of embedded + distributed systems
- Working experience with automated test environments and manual test beds
- Proven abilities for effective low-level troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Strong communication skills, comfortable working with teams from diverse backgrounds
An ideal candidate also has:
- 1+ years of experience in embedded systems testing (Automotive and IoT preferred)
- Proficiency with scripting and querying languages: Python, SQL
- Proficiency with serial data communication including: CAN, LIN, I2C, and SPI
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021, full list of locations here. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.