|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
At Okta, we believe that how we build the future is as important as what we build. Trust is at the core of our technology, our business and how we lead. To be successful, we believe companies have a responsibility not just to shareholders, but to all stakeholders – employees, customers, investors, communities and the environment. That’s why Okta launched our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) program earlier this year. https://www.okta.com/responsibility/
As Okta’s first dedicated position focused exclusively on ESG and Sustainability, the ESG/Sustainability Director will play a critical role in designing and building our Sustainability function and climate strategy from the ground up. You will also work across Okta to measure and communicate the impact of Okta’s broader ESG programs.
This is a highly cross-functional role that will collaborate with a team of Okta stakeholders through vision-setting, strategy development, implementation and reporting. We’re looking for a passionate, knowledgeable and execution-orientated leader to join us at an exciting and pivotal time for Okta – and the world.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategy and Performance – Own the development of Okta’s long-term climate strategy, including public commitments to relevant standards (e.g., RE100), development of science-based targets, and implementation plans and timelines; work across a diverse group of stakeholders, including Investor Relations, Legal, Finance, Workplace, HR, and Social Impact to support programs and priorities around additional material ESG issues for Okta
- Measurement, Evaluation and Reporting – Apply relevant standards and frameworks (e.g. SASB, GRI, SDGs) to Okta’s ESG and environmental sustainability efforts; use data, benchmarks and insights from evolving ESG standards to evaluate Okta’s performance; own reporting and tracking for environmental sustainability and ESG metrics across Okta; responsible for annual disclosures such as the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and Okta’s own ESG reporting; partner with Investor Relations, Sales and Communications teams to gather and verify data for investor, customer and other external requests.
- Operations and Cross-Functional Management – Lead Okta’s cross-functional ESG committee and working groups; develop annual cadence for reporting and disclosures; partner with Finance to manage near- and long-term financial planning for Sustainability programs; effectively manage teams of outside partners, consultant and vendors toward outcomes and results
- Communications – Develop the overall narrative for Okta’s Sustainability efforts; represent Okta externally with relevant industry coalitions and internally to Okta employees and executives
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience in ESG, environmental sustainability or corporate social responsibility
- Bachelors’ degree required, MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Depth of knowledge on sustainability, climate change, ESG topics and current trends
- Ownership over the creation of ESG or sustainability reports and/or proven ability to evaluate corporate performance leveraging such reports
- Prior corporate experience required; experience or expertise with high-growth technology companies preferred
- Exceptional cross functional management skills; ability to bring people together around a common goal and lead by influence
- Highly skilled in data analysis and building smart and efficient cross-functional processes
- Strong written and presentation skills for high-visibility storytelling, both internally and externally
- Adept at synthesizing complex inputs from multiple stakeholders
- A passion for stakeholder capitalism and a strong desire to evolve the relationship between business and society
- A desire to build
Meet the manager:
Erin Baudo Felter is the Vice President of Social Impact at Okta