We are looking for a technically skilled team player who is committed to the mission of serving life scientists to achieve their mission faster. The associate scientist on the chemistry technology development team investigates complex product syntheses, zeroing in on the actions needed to develop and improve new products and kits. They are hands-on in the lab running experiments and reviewing the work of research associates to foster their growth as scientists on the team. Additionally, we are looking for an individual who can contribute their deep understanding of state-of-the-art organic synthesis techniques and modern analytical methods to the development of new products. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to work efficiently and independently to accomplish project objectives, excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize and work effectively on multiple tasks efficiently are required. Excellent communication and writing skills and the ability to work well as a member of a team of interdisciplinary scientists and professionals are required. If you possess high standards of consistency and quality, the initiative to mentor and train, and the chemical precision to find efficient methods for synthesis of challenging product development problems then this role is for you.
- Ensure products meet set standards of quality, reliability, and performance.
- Collect, compile, and analyze relevant experimental data to obtain information regarding purity, structure, quality and performance.
- Develop, track, and report on results when requested.
- Provide backup support on Customer Experience in product related inquiries.
- Initiate updates and creation of new, functional SOPs as required.
- Identify ways to reduce waste and maximize resources.
- Ensure synthetic manufacturing processes comply with documented standards.
- Supervise a subset of junior associates within the Chemistry team to ensure they perform their duties in line with established company procedures.
- Liaise with New Product Development, In-house manufacturing and senior scientists onsite and at other company locations regarding ongoing synthetic work that may impact TD processes.
- Develop new synthetic experiments for final and intermediate products that minimize finished product failures when transfer to IHM occurs.
- Be knowledgeable of and able to enforce standards for health and safety during work operations.
- Identify areas of risk for synthetic or analytical error.
- Develop mentoring relationships with associates to proactively check their understanding of methods, providing constructive feedback where appropriate.
- Finds answers to detailed technical questions from associates.
- B.S. in chemistry, biochemistry, immunology or other Life Sciences required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years of related industry experience.
- Experience running and troubleshooting organic chemical laboratory synthesis experiments.
- Experience developing and optimizing purification and analytical analysis methods including experience with analytical and preparative scale HPLC, 1H- and 13C-NMR techniques, UV/Vis and fluorescence spectroscopy, purification methods including flash, MPLC and Biotage column chromatography, crystallization methods and analytical and preparative thin-layer chromatography.
- Ability to analyze and reconcile moderate to complex issues independently.
- Must be an individual with proven initiative and demonstrated accountability in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Display manual dexterity required to operate laboratory and office lab equipment
- Lab setting 70%
- Office setting 30%
- Organic Chemistry Laboratory setting
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What’s more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that’s diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.