|Job Type:||Full Time|
Cloud Interconnection & Acquisition
Cloud Ops and Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft’s cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and for operating the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams). We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness, and environmental sustainability. We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s over 200 online businesses including Azure, Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, and OneDrive. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
The Cloud Interconnection and Acquisitions team is responsible for acquisition of Fiber, Edge, Egress and Peering solutions supporting all of Microsoft’s online services infrastructure. We work with the various engineering, capacity and long-range planning teams on a collaborative basis to ensure the Microsoft network has the highest quality and availability globally.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
We're looking for an experienced and courageous leader that must be able support, influence and deliver system services in a fast-paced production environment—you must be agile and able to adapt to changing conditions and priorities. The successful candidate will need excellent analytical, communication, and collaboration skills. You will be working with people from many different teams and backgrounds requiring an open mind-set. You must be able to influence others and work cross-functionally to achieve broad goals. A proven track record of successfully managing projects, great talent and stakeholders are skillsets needed to be demonstrated resulting in measurable impact to be successful in this role.
- High energy individual to help build the build service and support the tools that enable the world’s largest online services.
- Be a talent magnet; Must be able to demonstrate you’re an authentic leader, just do it attitude, raise the bar for cultural change, able to grow, lead and retain high performing talent.
- Lead project initiatives for platform enablement and delivering capabilities that exceed customer expectations to enable rapid pace delivery of data center site and network route selection through the use of geospatial and other data sources.
- Support our colocation efforts to ensure resiliency, diversity and quality uptime of our network services portfolio.
- Responsible for Data analytics for the team to parse data, build meaningful metrics and reports enabling workflow analysis driving for workflow efficiency gains.
- Lead project initiatives for Cloud Interconnection & Acquisitions team to improve efficiency and quality across regions.
- Support our colocation efforts within the region to ensure resiliency, diversity and quality uptime of our network services portfolio.
- Collaborate with internal teams to identify and define strategic initiatives to meet expansion and cost reduction needs
- Build strategic relationships with carriers, vendors and industry experts
- Communicate progress internally and collaborate with network deployment teams
- Collaborate with internal teams to identify and define strategic initiatives and leverage technology to drive up speed to implementation by delivering a platform that enables accurate data through self service processes.
- Communicate progress internally and collaborate with internal customers
- Partner and ensure contracting compliance with service suppliers, legal team and physical security teams for continuous and consistent rigor ensuring contracts contain the correct SLA’s, indemnifications and such to
- Solid understanding of data center, network strategy, geospatial data and cost vectors
- BS or BA degree (In lieu of degree, 15 years relevant work experience)
- 5+ years of experiences in networking technologies
- 10 years of Program Management or Engineering experience leading, defining and delivering project or services
- 5+ Years proven knowledge of Data Center Operations, Inside Plant Management and Design, Outside plant, Bulk Fiber Installation and diverse terrestrial routing fundamentals
- 10+ years proven work experience as a manager/people leader.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years with Geospatial data and related analysis technologies
- 10+ years of experience in networking technologies in Data Center, Colo and/or Edge space
- 2+ years of mananager of manager experience
- Solid working understanding of domestic and global carrier networks
- Depth of experience presenting/communicating to executives and c-suite leadership
- Great problem solving, strategic thinking and technical skills
- Business Acumen demonstrated through prior work or education
- Self-driven and ability to work with minimal direction
- Technical experience with databases, data integration and data access technologies
- Experience with a data driven/metrics-driven mindset and the ability to experiment, learn and improve
- Familiarity with service catalog /workflow methodologies
- Able to build advanced SQL/BI queries & dashboards
Successful Candidates will have:
- Strategic negotiations and/or business development experience obtaining services from high-technology providers in data center and internet technologies
- A demonstrable track record of improving workflow processes, increasing efficiency and reporting on critical processes
- Can speak to practical examples of performance metrics and the development of key performance indicators
- Experience in influencing engineers in technical discussions
- A passion for networking or data center technologies
- Will be comfortable in conversation dealing with networking topics covering route mapping, procurement, installation, support and operations
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including financial analytics.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, determine best course of action and drive permanent resolution
- Ability to successfully influence without authority and manage efforts through relationships.
- Ability to inspire leadership and trust across teams and organizations
- Ability to promote a collaborative environment and bring a positive attitude to difficult situations.
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud
- Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.