Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Develops and maintains full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require on or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development. Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Independently innovates on and advocates for best practices within the team, and collaborates on them across the enterprise. Carries a holistic view of all products and their interactions to design complex solutions and plan for how new projects will fit into the larger ecosystem. Solves complex technical problems. Guides team in implementation of solutions from inception to production.
In this position, you will be a lead engineer in our Core Payments technology domain. Your talents will allow you to contribute, if not shape, our Business and Technology outcomes. Always wanted to have your change agent voice heard? We love to listen. We want you to help create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans. We need your talents to help ensure our outcomes are aligning to the needs of our Customers and Partners. You will work with the leading payment players in the world while actively contributing to the developer experience by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones. All cutting edge work leveraging the latest technologies in the industry.
This role is a hands on engineering role that puts you in front of solutions working within a team of talented engineers – working directly with product owners and delivery managers on delivering software from development to production.
You are expected to provide technical direction for platform enhancements on initiatives in order to successfully deliver business value.
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience.
- Develops and maintains backend systems.
- Uses holistic knowledge of all products in and adjacent to the team’s ecosystem to plan how new systems will be built and integrated; finds new ways to bring value to the company through the use of technology.
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved processes within the team and with internal partners; stays up to date with technology trends and innovates; mentors team members.
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Responsible for end to end technical solutions for a product or an initiative.
- Starts work on the initiative solution from the beginning and sees it through to production.
- Acts as a conduit between high level architecture and the teams.
- Acts as a conduit between different teams that work on larger solutions together
- Day to day point of contact for any technical issues related to overall solution and design.
- Responsible for working closely with the teams to ensure they stay aligned with the solution and have the help they need.
- Responsible for any escalations as and when needed in case of delays and blockers.
- Act as a technical product owner to all teams in the initiative when needed.
- Develop and lead proof of concepts for future solutions relevant to initiatives.
- Help to groom business features with business stakeholders.
- Define and own technical features.
- Estimation of initiatives and features.
- Recommend team resourcing changes to management to enhance business value delivery.
- Working with management and teams to improve and communicate development processes and practices.
- Travel on an ad-hoc basis when required for cross-functional meetings
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 10+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- In lieu of education, 12+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Fullstack Academy, General Assembly or comparable programs may adequately a non-CS Bachelor’s Degree
- Experienced in technical leadership of software applications.
- Experienced of working within teams.
- Modern and broad technology skillset including Java
- Experienced in design documentation with formal and informal methodologies
- Experienced in delivering functional & non-functional requirements
- Good written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Experienced implementing business critical projects of large scope and technical complexity.
- Must possess the judgement to plan and accomplish goals without supervision.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of tasks and a wide degree of creativity and flexibility with regard to technology is expected
- Enterprise frameworks e.g. Spring , DROOLS
- Web services including REST
- Messaging & streaming middleware e.g. RabbitMQ, Kinesis, Kafka
- Big data frameworks e.g. Hadoop, Spark
- Relational and non-relational databases e.g. MariaDB, HBase, DynamoDB
- Micro services experience
- Cloud infrastructure e.g. AWS and Pivotal Cloud Foundry (Lambdas, EC2s, Spring boot services)
- Continuous Integration & deployment e.g. Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform.
- UNIX/Linux scripting
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.