|Job Type:||Full Time|
Are you fascinated by software which helps millions of people connect, work and live their lives? Are you obsessed with empowering developers and data scientists to innovate at the speed of thought? Are you driven to help others achieve more? So are we. M365 Core (aka the Substrate) is the foundation for Microsoft’s productivity cloud. We build the highly scalable, fault resilient, globally available distributed services loved and used by people across the globe, at work and at home. Our platform enables developers and data scientists to provide intelligent, personalized services and experiences that help users and organizations across the planet to achieve more. Our mission is to unlock access to entities, signals and insights in Substrate to enable “speed of thought” experimentation and innovation for 1st party and 3rd party developers and data scientists.
Our vision is that apps and services built on the Substrate delight users with intelligent and personalized experiences. We are at the center of the “brain” for M365, powering lighthouse capabilities like intelligent search across users work and lives. We do this by bringing together our customers’ data assets with personalized user and intent understanding, to create a compliant platform that democratizes the ability for developers and data scientists to build intelligent M365 applications. Our M365 platform ecosystem strategy allows us to differentiate M365 by aligning to our company mission, to bring together our best of breed productivity platform and AI powered experiences to unlock value for our customers, partners and Microsoft in new ways.
Our culture is inclusive, casual and high energy; our engineers and data scientists come from diverse backgrounds, are passionate and loyal to coworkers and our products, and grounded in our customer needs. Our team has a strong sense of accountability and provides its members many opportunities for learning and career growth. Our bold mission is to enable people and organizations to succeed at home, at school and at work, to deliver intelligent services people trust and love to use to communicate, create, learn and work together, anywhere. We aspire to have a flexible work environment that isconnected, collaborative, caring and customer-centric so every person can be themselves and do their best work in a physiological safe environment.
We are seeking an Architect/Technical Advisor to the CVP of M365 Core Platform to help formulate and drive the technical strategy for our platform working on a combination of short term and long term initiatives in order to increase our efficiency and effectiveness. The focus of the role will be on driving technology investments, architectural alignments and cultural change across the organization. This role will also identify and drive cross-company initiatives with clearly defined and measurable metrics and outcomes. Finally, the role will focus on our engineering culture to innovate in our processes and the way we work so that we can achieve more.
- Architect, design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions in collaboration with teammates.
- Design services with a strong focus on high availability and scalability, robustness, and observability.
- Build software prototypes and conduct experiments to evaluate alternative architectures.
- Take end-to-end responsibility for the development, observability, quality, testing, and production readiness of the services you build.
- Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through code and design reviews, and by using data/telemetry to make decisions
- Develop “best-in-class” engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the component are: well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, reusable, diagnosable, and actively monitored
- Gain an understanding of Microsoft businesses and collaborate with mentors and leaders to contribute to cohesive, end-to-end experiences for our users & customers
- Stay educated on existing and state of the art technologies, and do POCs to evaluate technology fits for customer needs
- Grow and mentor junior developers.
Successful candidates need to exhibit these attributes that will enhance their ability to succeed in this role:
- Demonstrates both strong analytic and big picture capabilities in problem solving approaches.
- Deep understanding of the complexities involved with running a high scale service while innovating and taking risks.
- Highly effective in large scale communications (written and verbal) and collaborations across organizational boundaries. Adaptive communication approaches required for the diverse set of audiences.
- Ability to identify and bootstrap growth opportunities for continued growth and impact of the platform.
- Strong desire to improve the efficiency and execution of the team.
- Constant and curious learner that seeks out knowledge from sources within the company and across the industry.
- Versatility and willingness to work with constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
Experience and education required:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field required.
- Deep knowledge of the architecture and implementation of services.
- Deep knowledge of engineering practices and processes
- 10+ years of experience leading software engineering teams (design, architecture, development and quality assurance)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.