|Job Type:||Full Time|
This is a terrific opportunity in the Microsoft Cloud Capacity Planning team. This is the group that plans, builds, deploys, and operates the cloud infrastructure for all Microsoft online services and responsible for powering Microsoft’s “Cloud First” mission. The infrastructure group is responsible for powering some of the world’s largest online services across Azure, Office, Bing, Windows, Xbox, etc. including over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world with our servers, storage, networking and datacenter infrastructure.
The Capacity Planning team is responsible for effective collaboration with our Cloud Services development partners, deeply understanding business goals, helping translate those needs into useful signals that inform long- mid- and short-term capacity plans, and providing consumable feedback signals that help inform future plans and goals. We are looking for a seasoned capacity planning manager with strong partner management skills, insight and supply chain knowledge, and executive presence to transform the relationships with our partners from meeting their stated requirements to meeting their needs while optimizing the efficiency of our Cloud offering.
If you want to have a fundamental impact on how Microsoft’s Cloud is managed and operated globally, want to be involved with one of the most strategically important teams at Microsoft and be part of a paradigm shift; If creativity, leadership, strong business and technical acumen and out of the box thinking are some of the skills you bring to the table - this job is for you.
This is a key role that orchestrates Capacity availability for workloads in Azure. It leads plan development, alignment with other functions and optimizes the bottom-line cost impact to the business.
There are a few key areas to this role:
- Developing, balancing, and optimizing a capacity plan to ensure the balance of capacity availability while maintaining optimal inventory and managing within the supply chain capability.
- Liaison with the networking, hardware and software development organizations to ensure SKU development and hardware and software roadmaps are managed for capacity and profitability implications and maintain business continuity.
- Drive supply-demand match and mitigation plans for capacity gaps, as well as what-if scenarios to support decision making with a Service and P&L mindset
- Partner with engineering teams, supply chain, finance, data center operations, cloud server hardware, S&OP and networking teams to ensure all functions act in alignment with common goals, drive new initiatives and capabilities.
- Develop measures, KPIs and analytics to support optimal decision making.
With high visibility and impact, this role helps ensure alignment in delivering capacity to our customers at the right cost. The cloud space is growing rapidly and evolving at a huge pace. This role is uniquely positioned to develop and drive new capabilities into our engineering, process, and planning groups.
- Develop a capacity plan that meets customer needs, while maintaining compliance to supply and execution policies, throughput capacities and contractual requirements.
- Providing a clear forecast and prioritized signal to the end to end execution teams.
- Optimizing the plan for availability, revenue and cost
- Drive strategic and tactical capability for unique placement or colocation of hardware depending on the product feature requirements.
- Own the relationship with the supply chain and execution team. Set flexibility and throughput targets, while also comprehending and incorporating their capabilities and constraints with appropriate risk mitigation
- Liaison with the hardware development organization to ensure SKU development and hardware roadmaps meet the business need by dates.
- Envision and drive core measures as outputs from the group, as well as key input measures from other teams.
- Apply advanced analytics concepts toward rich insights and key financial and strategic decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in supply chain, related product/technology, business administration or engineering field.
- 6+ years for broad and deep product / supply chain / business planning experience
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Leadership: You need to be an expert at leading cross-functional teams on complex projects with many variables.
- Generating clarity: This is one of the most important aspects of what we do. Our job is to align everyone on the same plan and keep them there. This requires constant communication and diligence to squash any ambiguity.
- Supply Chain Expertise: Do you have experience demand planning, supply planning, forecasting, designing or analyzing supply chain challenges? This role is leading new capabilities for our organization.
- BI, Metrics and Analytics: Are you able to identify themes and learnings out of data? Define the essence of a function and measure its success? Provide KPI that are clear to understand and can drive decision making.
- Results: Are you a doer who can span from strategic thinking to getting stuff done and consistently delivering. Ultimately ensuring capacity availability at the right cost and minimal surprises or churn.
- Communications and Influencing: Can you build relationships and influence people - from execs to individuals, across business and technical disciplines? Are you equally adept at leading cross-functional meetings or building rapport and personal connection in 1:1 conversation?
- Collaboration: Excellent collaboration and partnering skills are essential. Great collaborators aren’t just easy to work with - they also raise tough questions, challenge others as necessary and negotiate win/win solutions.
- Masters preferred.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.