|Job Type:||Full Time|
SUMMARY: Set up and operate plastic extrusion equipment to manufacture custom medical tubing according to specifications following quality standards in order to meet departmental production and/or development demands by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Confers with supervisors and management to address and resolve problems, complaints, or grievances.
- Enforces safety and sanitation regulations.
- Direct and coordinate the activities of employees engaged in the production or processing of goods, such as extrusion technicians, inspectors and assemblers on their designated lines.
- Has significant knowledge of all operations on the lines they support and trains employees as needed.
- Works closely with the line leads they support on tools, people and resources to meet production demands.
- Participates in daily production meetings.
- Participates in project activities as required and works with cross-functional teams.
- Provides support, input and troubleshooting expertise in the Extrusion area and confers with designated line leads.
- Involved in lean manufacturing processes, changes and training.
- Confer with supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments.
- Reads jobs specifications to determine machine adjustments and material requirements.
- Set up machine and other equipment required to make the items to be run during your assigned shift.
- Make sure the proper resin(s) is (are) available and staged properly, if appropriate.
- Start up and operate the extrusion equipment according to approved parameters for the item(s) to be manufactured.
- Adjust tooling as required to produce product that meets the specifications.
- Adjust processing parameters as allowed within the approved range(s) in order to maintain the product within the approved specification.
- Inspect product according to approved methods and standards using approved equipment.
- Collect and package product according to approved standards, and deliver to the next station listed on the work order.
- Observe machine operation to detect work-piece defects or machine malfunction.
- Measure work-piece dimensions to determine accuracy of machine operation.
- Performs minor machine maintenance such as oiling machines, dies, or work-pieces.
- Complete and submit all completed paperwork or electronic data entry.
- Purge, shut down and clean all equipment according to approved methods (where applicable), and remove tooling in preparation for the next work order to be processed.
- Trains on new operations, running new MM’s and maintains training records.
- Schedules runs for both shifts based on production & R&D needs
- Updates Extrusion documents as needed.
- Works with the Operations Excellence Lean Manager on Lean activities for the Extrusion department.
- Supports R&D builds and provides feedback on tooling, equipment, dimensions and issues.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This job has no supervisory responsibilities but is responsible for giving work direction to Extrusion Technicians and Assemblers.
COMPETENCIES: To perform this job successfully, and individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Uses feedback to modify designs; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolved problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem solving situations.
- Oral and Written Communication – Listens and gets clarification. Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Motivation and Planning/Organizing - Measures self against standard of excellence. Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes all safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma and/or GED and 5+ year(s) experience.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Must have the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as metric conversion. Also have the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense, understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particle and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is loud.