|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. CO&I is responsible for delivering Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide.
Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The Datacenter Engineering Construction Manager (CM) will be part of the team responsible for the development of Microsoft’s industry-leading datacenter designs. The DCE Construction Manager will be responsible for management of the full EPCM scope for retrofitting existing datacenters in the Microsoft AMER region. The successful candidate will manage overall project objectives including design and construction within approved budgets. This individual will manage internal and external resources.
The CM will be a relentless advocate for managing a safe worksite. Safety is one of the four pillars of CO+I’s mission in delivering cloud capacity; joined by Quality, Schedule adherence, and Cost Management. The CM will also collaborate with Microsoft Security, Microsoft IT (MSIT), Legal, Project Engineering, MS Business Risk Management, and other internal groups to maintain the corporate vision and goals for all projects.
In addition, this position will be responsible for coordinating and reviewing vendor performance relative to cash flow and budget summaries and will clarify those reports in presentations to the delivery and executive chain. Other responsibilities include oversight and project controls (Project Expenditure Request (PERs), Professional Services Request (PSRs), Change Orders, Pay Applications, etc.). Additional roles include MS partner engagement, as well as participation in communications plans, and community involvement with support from Datacenter Operations (DCOPs), Real Estate Services, Datacenter Services, and Corporate Communications teams.
- Provide construction and design management, technical direction, decision-making and overall leadership for various retrofit projects in existing datacenters
- Create and maintain best practices to identify and incorporate cost-effective solutions
- Facilitate decision-making to drive solutions, schedules, and manage change as required
- Apply influence, strategies, and negotiation skills to identify options and recommend solutions
- Regularly review cost and KPI metrics, invoices, process/policy communications to client partners
- Provide project single point of contact for project development and delivery
- Coordinate meetings and activities of vendors, cost managers, and integration of lessons learned
- Report project progress on scope, schedule, and budget weekly or as required
- Develop, manage, and report on safety, scope, schedule, and budget
- Provide Vendor oversight and performance management
- Preparation of Request for Proposal (RFP’s), PER’s, and other project approval tools and templates
- Validate vendor pay-applications, invoice reviews and approvals
- Licensed professional engineer OR equivalent experience of progressive responsibility in design, engineering, operations or project/construction management.
- 10+ years’ experience in consulting engineering OR 5+ years’ experience as lead engineer or design manager OR 5+ years’ experience in project construction with large-scale commercial or mission critical facilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Project Management, or Construction Management or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills
- High level of proficiency in commercial and industrial architecture and engineering with a primary focus on datacenter design and construction
- Able to work with other technical and non-technical groups in a fast-paced environment and do so with an even temperament.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.