|Job Type:||Full Time|
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Microsoft’s Windows + Devices mission is to build platforms and products that create and complete magical experiences to empower every person and organization to achieve more. The Windows + Devices business delivers Windows to over one billion devices and builds cutting edge Surface devices, which is one of the fastest-growing Microsoft businesses.
- Legal Advice and Counsel - You act as the primary legal contact for a product, product feature, team, or corporate function and you execute and/or resolve legal matters; you advocate for Microsoft's needs; you actively participate in legal, work, or industry associations; you monitor and exemplify legal compliance policy/standards and advise clients on compliance issues.
- Subject Expertise - You provide actionable advice on legal and business matters and serve as an important contributor for clients and colleagues; you have an in-depth understanding of the product and you engage with colleagues to identify and share best practices; you have an understanding of legal principles and interpret legal information.
- Solution Implementation - You identify, anticipate, and develop solutions to mitigate legal risks; you manage project work expenses according to budget and provide feedback to the improvement of project operations.
- Issue Resolution - You resolve issues by managing interactions with outside counsel or other service providers.
- Communication - You organize and simplify issues and ideas in written or verbal communication and you structure, draft, and negotiate transactional documents; you work collaboratively within and across Legal and Corporate functions; you develop positive relationships with external and legal professions, customers, and partners to advocate for Microsoft's interests.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Analytical Thinking - The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in complex data. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources; use information to generate insights; and make decisions.
- Legal Acumen - The ability to interpret, analyze, and advise on the company's legal position. This includes the ability to apply knowledge of the legal framework related to one's practice area, use legal information to diagnose key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. This includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business's competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs; and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- Legal and Regulatory Requirements - Knowledge of the rules, regulations, sanctions and other statutory requirements, guidelines, and instructions relating to governing bodies and organizations, both internally and externally.
- Technology Industry Knowledge - Knowledge of trends, direction, new products and changes in the technology as it applies to a particular area of focus, as well as specific knowledge about hardware, software and services.
- Creative Legal Thinking - The ability to develop and present creative arguments and opinions to support the organization, defend cases, or negotiate solutions.
- Relationship Management - The ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with supervisors, staff, managers, customers, and vendors. This includes expressing empathy and compassion when dealing with the needs and problems of others, being approachable, taking time to address the concerns of coworkers, and treating others with respect and dignity.
- Global Mindset - Knowledge and understanding of global cultures, including similarities and differences. This includes the ability to work across organizational, functional, and geographic boundaries to drive communications, business strategies and multi-geography projects and teams; and adapt to a highly matrixed environment.
- Completion of a JD Degree or Equivalent International Degree
- Active license to practice law in a US jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
- 5+ years experience as a practicing attorney or equivalent practice of law
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 3+ years experience as an attorney in specialized practice area (e.g., intellectual property, technology law)
- In-house counsel experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.