|Location:||Cambridge, Massachusetts, New York, New York, Redmond, Washington|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Call for Researchers in Reinforcement Learning or Related Areas
Locations open for consideration: New York, Redmond, Montreal, Cambridge MA, Cambridge UK
We want to enable the next generation of machine learning using interactive reinforcement-based approaches to solve real-world problems.
We seek outstanding applicants in many locations for full-time positions in reinforcement learning and related areas such as natural language processing, computer vision, AI systems, and dialog systems among others. We particularly seek applicants with expertise that is complementary to the rest of our team and expands the scope and effectiveness of reinforcement learning approaches to both new and existing domains. We encourage candidates with both theoretical and applied interests to apply.
Microsoft Research offers an exhilarating and supportive environment for cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research, both theoretical and applied, with access to an extraordinary diversity of big and small data sources, an open publications policy, and close links to top academic institutions around the world. We seek applicants with the passion and ability to craft and pursue an independent research program, including a strong publication record at top research venues.
The Microsoft Research reinforcement learning group includes Alekh Agarwal, Ching-An Cheng, Kamil Ciosek, Hal Daumé III, Sam Devlin, Debadeepta Dey, Miroslav Dudík, Matthew Hausknecht, Katja Hofmann, Sham Kakade, Akshay Krishnamurthy, John Langford, Dipendra Misra, Ida Momennejad, Robert Schapire, Harm van Seijen, Adith Swaminathan, Siddhartha Sen and Cyril Zhang.
As a team, we are committed to building an inclusive, diverse and pluralistic research environment. In keeping with this, Microsoft Research is a place where ALL people are able to do their very best work.
As a researcher, you can define your own research agenda, driving forward an effective program of basic, fundamental, and applied research. In addition to driving your own research agenda, we highly value collaboration and building new ideas with members of the group and others. You have the direct opportunity to realize your ideas in products and services used worldwide.
- PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics, or a related field
- A research program demonstrated by 8 or more journal and conference publications in prestigious venues. Examples include but are not limited to: NeurIPS, ICML, COLT, UAI, AISTATS, AAAI, IJCAI, AAMAS, ICLR, ICRA, IROS, CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, ACL, EMNLP, EACL, NAACL, TACL, ICAPS, KDD, WSDM, WWW, JMLR, Ann Stats, JASA, TPAMI, IEEE Trans Image Proc, IEEE Trans Signal Proc, IEEE Trans Info Theory, Mathematical Programming, SIAM Journal on Optimization.
- Significant participation and activity in the scientific community on program committees, editorial boards, inclusion events, etc.
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
- Demonstrated leadership potential in research
- Complementary expertise to the rest of the team
In your application, please provide:
- A CV which lists all peer-reviewed publications and major projects
- At least 3 reference letters
- A Research statement that outlines your research achievements and agenda
To get started with your application, press the “Apply now” button above. When prompted, provide names and contact information of your references. Upload CV and research statement as separate attachments. Remember to press the “Submit” button at the last screen.
After you submit your application, the system will send a request for letters to your list of referees on your behalf. Note: The application system will not request reference letters until after you have submitted your application.
You may wish to alert your letter writers in advance so that they will be ready to submit your letter. While you will not be able to view the letters themselves, you can check the status of individual reference requests within your application.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.