Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
We are looking for talented engineers, but seriously, who isn’t? Let’s get into what makes this job interesting.
Our team builds applications that support Discover’s world-class customer service. We have dedicated user interface and user experience designers helping us build effective front-ends for our users, and we use common frameworks like Angular, React and Vue to build them. They are powered primarily by NodeJS+Express microservices, with a bit of GraphQL and Java mixed in for flavor. These services are hosted on Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF), and we combine robust enterprise tooling with our own custom utilities to make our ops efficient. We manage data with a combination of SQL (MariaDB) and no-SQL (MongoDB, Elasticsearch) hosted on AWS and on-prem virtual machines.
In this role, you’ll work primarily with a small agile team (we use SCRUM). As a part of that team, you will partner with our product and field operations teams to understand the needs of our customers and customer service agents and build the tech to meet those needs. We take pride on our ability to translate business needs into high-quality, technical solutions, and to communicate technical information to people of varying technical knowledge. Done well, your work on this team will have a direct impact on Discover’s business.
TL;DR; We’re a full stack engineering team who builds awesome and valuable customer service technology!
We also love learning and sharing engineering knowledge, and we make it a major focus in our work. Our extended dev team (about 20 engineers) gets together on a regular basis to share news and updates from the industry, share interesting trainings or conference takeaways, and show off side projects and proofs-of-concept that we’ve worked on.
- Think creatively; continuously learn new things and bring them into your work
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Work with product partners to define technical solutions to business problems
- Work with your team of engineers to innovate and enhance their development practices and processes, design and build end-to-end solutions with flexibility, maintainability, and security in mind
- Understand, interact with, and contribute as needed to our data ecosystem
- Understand, interact with, and contribute as needed to our testing and deployment automation processes/tooling
- Understand, employ, and contribute to the team’s engineering best practice
- Test and clearly document your solutions
- Collaborate with other engineers on code/design reviews and process improvements
- Participate in the team’s weekly support rotation
- Effectively plan and execute production code installs
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
- Creates and maintains develops processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models/schemas)
- Research and evaluate alternative solutions/technologies, share informed recommendations with the team, and integrate them when appropriate
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology
- 4+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 6+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- Full Stack Academy, General Assembly or comparable programs may adequately supplement a non-CS bachelor’s degree
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.