Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover Financial Services you can make an impact. Whether it’s developing corporate strategy, innovating new services or supporting IT needs, every employee has the opportunity to be a vital part of our business and make a real difference. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. We’re a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and we are consistently awarded for both.
We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on innovation and customer service. Our employees have always played a big part in our success. We support, challenge and inspire employees to continually develop their skills, advance their career and help grow our business.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Data Governance Consultant to join our Data Governance team. Successful candidates will provide lead level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development on the data governance policies and standards. In this role you will conduct sampling audits to ensure the integrity of the data that is being moved between platforms follows governance guidelines and standards. You will provide technical consulting to peer data engineers requesting data migration. Projects will include processing/transformation frameworks leveraging AWS, Teradata & SAS. Further, you will be reporting on current state and providing recommendations and remediation guidance where applicable.
In this role, you will have the following duties:
- Collaborate with cross functional teams such as Cloud Business Office & platform engineering, Info Sec, Enterprise Architecture, DBAs and business teams.
- Partner with Info Sec, CBO, Platform teams, EA and collaboratively define strategy, approach and detective controls for data classification & obfuscation for all data managed in the cloud
- Develop capabilities required to monitor and ensure required data adheres classification and security standards on the cloud
- Act as the liaison between the Enterprise Data Governance Team and the Enterprise to communicate the guidelines and standards around data classification and protection
- Ensure proper data governance policies are followed by implementing or validating Data Classification, Lineage, Quality and storage checks, etc.
- Develop metrics to support activities
- Ability to quickly identify an opportunity and recommend possible technical solutions.
- Provide support for deployed data applications and analytical models by being a trusted advisor to Data Scientists and other data consumers by identifying data problems and guiding issue resolution with partner Data Engineers and source data providers as it related to data governance policies and standards.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the analysis, preparation of specifications and plans for the development of data processes.
- Partners with external vendors and industry experts to evolve the data management and governance program using industry frameworks, templates and expert organizations
- Lead application development teams, data stewards, subject matter experts and other business and IT staff to execute data governance initiatives
- Utilize various IT frameworks (ITSM, ITIL, etc), guidelines and best practices to evaluate and make practical recommendations on IT data management policies, procedures, standards and controls.
- Evolve data governance policy and standard writing and review along with developing short presentations for the department and senior level executives
- Develops and codes solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management and data steward activities
- Designs solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management and data steward activities
- Implements some improvements in architecture, team processes and functions.
- Bachelors Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 4+ years of IT Work Experience, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality
- In lieu of education experience, 8+ years of IT Work Experience, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality
- Experienced in Agile/Lean/SAFe methodologies.
- Proficiency in one of the scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java.
- Good understanding of Big Data technology trends, with knowledge of technologies such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Hive, and Python.
- Experience with one of the ETL tools Abinitio, Informatica or Data Stage.
- Hands on experience with AWS based solutions such as RDS, Lambda, DynamoDB, Redshift, Snowflake or S3.
- Experience in building & utilizing tools and frameworks within the Big Data ecosystem including Kafka, Spark, HBase, NoSQL
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres and understanding of columnar data stores such as Redshift or Snowflake; and expert skills in writing complicated SQL statements.
- 4+ years of experience in IT, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Governance
- Experience managing data governance initiatives
- Understanding of data governance concepts and tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with peers and upper level management.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Experience within the financial industry
- AWS Cloud Services certification
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.